Loomy Thoughts

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Looming on...

Last night I intended to take some of the experimental weft off the Kromski, so I could re-weave with other practice weft. Instead, I decided to work on the scarf that's on the 11" loom.

So far my challenge has been getting the edges even, but I'm getting better and the project seems to move along relatively quickly, so it keeps me interested. I'm using Tahki Shannon yarn, originally purchased for a knitted scarf. I quickly discovered that I hated knitting with it (snaggy, sticks to itself) so figured weaving was worth a shot since this is relatively pricey yarn for me. For warp I'm using a cheap acrylic. So I am doing what I believe is called a 'weft-faced plain weave' - I'm covering up the warp with the weft, and just doing the usual over-and-under weaving. Good practice.

Something I noticed last night though, is that the finished 'cloth' is taking up quite a bit of room on the cloth beam, and I might not have enough room to do a very long scarf.


I'll be posting a close-up picture later, once my e-mail program starts working again (darn Yahoo!).


Well, it took longer than my e-mail coming back on-line - Kodak still hasn't sent to me. But I'm home now, so here it is.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home