Loomy Thoughts

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Headin' towards the weekend...

I didn't get a lot of weaving in last night, but did manage to 'unweave' the experimental bits that were on the Kromski, and started weaving with Sugar & Cream worsted weight cotton at two shots (throws?) per shed. Much, much better.

Of course, after I started I wondered if I was supposed to do this like 2-stranded knitting, where you knit 2 strands at the same time (for weaving, two strands on 1 shuttle).

Or, should I be using 2 shuttles, 1 strand per shuttle (my current method)? The only thing I don't like about this method is that it is not very smooth-going, especially with such long shuttles, and with me being uncoordinated I foresee a tangled mess. :-P

Or, should I be pulling a loop through and keeping the shuttle or yarn on the same side the whole time (which, after thinking about it, doesn't sound like a good idea - the side opposite the shuttle would never get it's threads locked in on the outermost warp?)?

I did get a little over an inch woven, and discovered a method whereby I can weave in the living room with that huge loom. For my 11" loom, I sit on my bed and rest the back beam on an on-edge pillow, so the loom is at about a 45 degree angle - much more convenient for me and doesn't hurt my back. I did something similar with the Kromski, only using one of my knitting stands and sitting on the floor. That is not the best way, as the back beam's warp was resting on the stand, plus the cloth beam sitting on the floor was a bit too low for long-time comfort, but I'll figure out a better solution as I work with it. I would like to get the loom off the kitchen table though, so I probably ought to work on the stand. :-)
Of course, I didn't think to check what size screws & washers I will need, so most of the actual fixing will have to wait til tomorrow (assuming I remember to check for hardware sizes tonight).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home