Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

As promised...

We have pictures! First we have Grandma's loom after cleaning it up a bit:

This is a Sears Hearthside 27" Rigid Heddle Rug loom from the 1940s - the only rigid heddle I've heard of that was meant for rug weaving. It's rather coarsely made, especially compared to the Kromski Harp; but I have a Hearthside Rug Frame from the same era that is also rather coarse. Since they were meant for rugs the manufacturer probably didn't think they'd need to smooth-finish pieces too much. Mom remembers Grandma weaving rugs on it, but doesn't think she has any. I also have the original booklet that came with it (thank goodness for packrats! LOL). Those black strings on the 'warping stick' - I have no idea why they were there. They are looped onto the stick and have another loop so you can tie your warp to it, but I don't know why you would want to. And the owner's manual isn't that specific.

While I was putting the warp on ("dressing the loom"):

(Oh my aching back!)


And another with the warp ready to be tied on to the front beam.


I can't believe how big this loom feels, compared to my 24" Harp!

That's as far as I got, as I ended up winding it on myself (hence the pop cans still on the end of the warp), since DH was attending to the sick refrigerator (sigh). I need to find something easier to tie onto than pop cans - the cans keep sliding out!

As I was winding on, I discovered a loop had come off. I managed to tie it back on to the warping 'stick' - hopefully it won't cause any problems. I seem to have ok tension at least. Of course it wasn't an edge loop!

After all that, I need to do some yoga!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home