Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday

The shawl is now long enough - actually a couple inches longer than planned - so of course I had an idea that will drag it out a bit longer. :-D

I've been wanting to make a Reader's Wrap, and since it would be pretty similar to this, and I have warp left over, I thought "why not make pockets and use this as a prototype?". So I've started pockets now.
I've divided my warp in half, and used my extra bulky cotton to make something to beat against next to my flimsy cardboard spacer, plus very thin crochet cotton (size 30?) to make a hem to sew under. I even get to use the short shuttles that I made. It's tricky making sure I don't pick up an extra warp, so it's a bit slow-going; but so far so good.

I also realized as I came to the end of the shawl that the warp threads making up the fringe will not look the same as the other side, since they've been abraded by the heddle and the first side was not. So I'm not sure how well that's going to work out - I may end up hemming this after all (good thing there are an extra couple of inches!).

So now it's time to start contemplating what to do next. I'm considering concentrating on spinning for a bit, as I was thinking of doing a Reader's Wrap from that lovely brown alpaca I found yesterday (which I'm sure is why I came up with the idea to use the current project as a prototype) - but I need to spin it first, and I still have quite a bit of Icelandic that needs spinning. I don't like to leave a particular batch unspun before moving on to something else, but I just might do it in this case. This Icelandic is so well-prepared that it is like butter to spin, so it's easy to pick up.

I also need to re-do the warp on the small RH and finish DH's scarf - the current web is getting downright dusty from neglect!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home