Loomy Thoughts

Monday, October 16, 2006

It's Monday - it must be Small-Project Weaving Night!

We're back safely from our trip, with new weaving pics to share!
My sister had bought an Ashford Knitter's loom - the 12-incher, and brought it to the gathering. I was able to help her warp it up for the first time, and she got started on this scarf:



She is loving it, and got quite a bit done even though we didn't get her loom warped until Saturday night. The weft is a sparkly floofy yarn, thick and thin, that I think is called "Glitz"; and she is using a nice wool (and I've forgotten the brand, but it looked like worsted) for the warp.

I was surprised to see that the pieces that tie the beams to the warp sticks are plastic, and I wonder how well they will hold up but they seem sturdy enough so far. It's a cute loom, and I wouldn't mind having one if the price were a bit lower.


I re-started DH's scarf on the Mattel loom, and this is about an hour's worth of work:


Now doesn't that look better with a dark warp, instead of a white warp? LOL I was really surprised that my dad seem interested in the project, though I couldn't talk him into throwing the shuttle a few times. :-)

I enjoy using this small loom, though it needs some re-engineering. I can't decide if I want to re-engineer it, or just build another loom - or both! Yes, those are hair-ties holding the front & back beams to the frame, and keeping the beams from moving from side-to-side. The beams just sit in the cutouts with nothing to secure them.


My other trip project was spool-knitting some bulky cotton to make another rug on the rug-tying frame. I have a beautiful wooden 6-peg spool-knitter that works best with bulky yarn, and I had made a rug with some spool knitting from chair pads that didn't work out, on the frame. I love that rug now that the weather's colder, and since I did a smaller rug the first time I want a larger rug now.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home