Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Spinning Night!

Even though it was Monday yesterday, and I don't usually do anything crafty on Mondays, I had a hankerin' for some spinning. So I hauled my wheel & Icelandic roving & spinning chair upstairs and watched Basil Rathbone in "Sherlock Holmes and the Woman in Green" (love the old Holmes movies) and spun away. As with all my other crafty hobbies (well, actually, pretty much everything!), I am a slooow spinner so not much obvious progress was made, but it was nice to get back into it a bit. It is spinning up thinner than I prefer - at the current diameter I am definitely going to have to ply it.

I need to get that roving done so I can start on the alpaca/silk/merino blend I have. It will be a bit trickier to spin as it's in a 'wad' instead of roving, but I'm looking forward to trying it. The Icelandic, though an easy spin, is pretty rough. I had been thinking of doing my Reader's Wrap with the Icelandic on the Harp, and I still might depending on how hard the blend is to spin, but I hope the blend spins easy so I can use that instead. On a weaving note - I have another ball of this roving in white (8 oz. if I remember correctly) that I just might try weaving from; with carpet warp as warp and the roving as weft.

I'll post a picture of the spinning tonight, though there is not much to see. Perhaps tonight I'll get enough weaving time in to finish placemat #4. Isn't it grand to have too many hobbies? LOL

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home