Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Saturday morning

I wove (off and on) for about 3 hours last night - this sure seems to go faster than my knitting does (I'm a sloooow knitter)! Anyway, to see what's happening -

Here is the warp behind the heddle:















And here is the warp in front of the heddle (after the heddle has passed over it a few times):

















Seriously bad. But it
seems to be making a nice web so far:











I do get an occasional bit of fuzz on top of the web, but it pulls right off.

I've tried lightly rubbing the warp with the oily wax cakes I make for my knitting machine yarns to protect the yarn, but I don't think they are soft enough to work very well with the warp already on the loom. I might warm them up a bit to make them a bit softer. If I had known ahead of time that this yarn wouldn't hold up I would have run the yarn through the cake's hole, and I would have a much more uniform coating (how you're supposed to apply the wax).

I'm also winding onto the cloth beam more often than I normally would, to limit the abrasion as much as possible. Not sure it is helping, and I'm not sure how well this is going to turn out, but it is going relatively quickly. I do seem to be getting some obvious draw-in, and I'm kind of wishing I had made the project wider. A good learning experience, regardless.

I keep forgetting to mention - on this warp, I inserted paper while winding the cloth beam as well, as this yarn really sticks to itself and I was concerned about accidently weaving some of the warp ends into the web.

I'll probably do a bit of craft rotation today, as I want to do some rug tying and I should do some knitting, but I'll probably be weaving this morning. It doesn't make sense, but I feel like the faster I weave this, the less the yarn will be abraded. Isn't that dumb? LOL I taped some old Bela Lugosi movies off TCM last night, so that ought to keep me happily weaving for hours! :-)

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • would some hair spray help to not fray the warp yarns behind the heddle?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/19/2006 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home