Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Well...

I don't want to do that again! I had an awful time yesterday trying to dress the loom. I don't think the warping board method will be my first choice in doing a warp - I had the worst time with the yarn popping off the board over and over again. Not sure if it was the yarn, the smoothness of the pegs, or how tight I was winding (I think I was winding much tighter than before). This time I had the board leaned against the wall, as per the video, instead of on the stand, and I don't think it worked as well.

One of the previously-warped 'hanks' was extremely tangled after I took it off the loom - next time I'll just toss the messed-up warp and start over, if I have enough yarn. I was using the warp-it-yourself-method pictured here:

http://www.wovenspun.com/blending_tutorial/warping_loom.htm

and it worked well, except for the problem with the incredibly-tangled section. I ended up with a rat's nest at the bottom, and had to cut the loops so I could get it untangled enough to finish winding on. One of the problems with this yarn is it sticks to itself, and in spots, it seems to 'fuse' to itself - almost as if it were wool and was felting. Needless to say this has not been a fun experience, and I'll probably only use this yarn on the knitting machine in the future, instead of on the loom.

I also discovered that I just cannot roll anything straight. I had a nice wide, long, sheet of kraft paper to use for the warp seperator, and of course it didn't wind straight. I didn't think it would be too big of a problem, but one side of the warp is much much shorter than the other, so I'll be re-winding today. SIGH.

Keep your fingers crossed that today will go better, and I'll finally finish dressing the loom. If I am successful, I should have pictures up.



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi, as far as your warps not being the same length after winding on, possibly they are NOT the same length. If you wind tightly you will actually slightly bend the pegs and the last warps will be shorter than the first warps that you wind. I don't particularly warp tight, (I don't think,at least I try not to) but if I am warping a lot of ends I often will divide it in at least 2 separate bouts, sometimes more if the threads are more bulky.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/13/2006 10:59 AM  

  • Gail, you are quite right - they weren't quite the same length. There was even some variation within a 'hank' (I did 3 seperate hanks for this warp). I was pretty stressed on the third hank, and even more stressed by the time I finished winding it, so I'm not too surprised it's a little short! LOL I'm just glad it's not as short as it first appeared - there was quite a difference!

    By Blogger CL, at 8/13/2006 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home