Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Nothing much was accomplished today...

I do plan to continue knotting the placemats' fringe, but will probaby only do one or two edges. I really need to knit on that garter stitch shawl tonight, as I have been totally ignoring it.

I did try warping up the Tissanova loom - I'm quite disappointed. Perhaps it is the yarn - a worsted weight wool blend; but I can't get the second shed to open enough to pass even the super-thin shuttle that came with the loom through. It sure was nice warping though - just wind around the frame and lay in the heddle, then snap the the 'yarn-keeper thing' in place on top of the threaded heddle. I'll try it later with carpet warp and see if that helps - the heddle is wood and might need sanding a bit. But for now, I'm done messing with it.

I found a couple of projects in my books last night - one a mohair wrap. I have a ball of mohair I was wondering what to use for since I absolutely hated knitting with it, but I will need to buy more yarn for this project. First I need to figure out what I did with the original ball so I can match it. :-) This project is in "Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving". I will do this on the Harp.

Also, the bag I mentioned previously, done in either fine twine or or 'thicker' linen - I can't tell for sure what exactly that stuff is. This is in "Everybody's Weaving". I need to look at the instructions a bit closer.

In the same book are several sampler strips, and they look very interesting. This book is written for mostly two-harness looms, so there shouldn't be much difference between two-harness and RH weaving techniques. I may do those next, so I can see what the different patterns look like in real life. I will probably do at least one of these strips before trying the bag, as the bag has 3 different lace patterns in it. Now to figure out which loom to use. By the time I'm ready for the bag I will have probably built my first handmade RH loom, but the strips could be started now. Perhaps the Bonhop loom is big enough, though if I remember correctly the heddle is around a 5-dent.

I still have one more book to look at, and then I'll re-check the strip pattern(s) and check out the Bonhop. I won't be able to get to the LYS til Tuesday anyway, so I have time. And the wrap may go quickly enough that I will still be able to do the strips on the Harp.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Can you tell me about the Bonhop loom? Is it a worthwhile little thing?

    Might bid on one on eBay...

    I hope it's not tacky to say leave a message on my blog, yeesh, but I don't want to publish my email address. Forgive me if this is impolite.

    By Blogger Denise, at 6/07/2007 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home