Loomy Thoughts

Monday, December 04, 2006

A-weaving we will goooo

Updated with pictures!

It looks like I may have found the problem - yay!




I spent the weekend doing weaver-ly things. :-D First up, the Harp project.

I did the hemstitching, following the instructions in Holland's "Weaving Primer" (an excellent resource for non-multi-harness weavers, IMO). I pulled the stitches tight, though none of my books say that you are supposed to, but I liked the nice edge I ended up with.
I still don't see how that edge will not ravel, but since I'm also fringing the warp and sewing around the pockets I guess I won't find out on this particular project. I did learn that it is a very good idea to decide to hemstitch before the end of the project. :-) It is much easier to do while the project is under tension. I was able to make it work, by cutting the warp off the warp beam, removing the heddle, and then unrolling the cloth from the cloth beam back onto the warp beam until I got to the cloth edge. It worked well enough, but would've been better had I stitched at the beginning.

I decided to do a braided fringe, as the wrap looked like it needed something 'more'. Very simple, but a bit time consuming (especially with a 60 lb. spaniel on your lap!). I'm not quite finished with that yet, and then I need to sew the pockets on.



I worked on the Hearthside's project a little - wow do my hem edges look BAD but I'm so far behind schedule on this I'm not gonig to take the time to re-do it. It's looking a bit rus
tic, but I think it will be ok. I'm going to hemstitch this as well.


No progress on the floor loom other than taking the broken beater bar off. I still need to buy a reed for it anyway, so it will be awhile before I do anything on this loom



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home