Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Saturday!

After getting a late start to the day, I got a late start on the crafty stuff too. I had planned to do a craft rotation day, but got sidetracked while re-arranging the furniture in the guest room so I could squeeze Grandma's Hearthside loom in. So, here is the loom in it's current home:
(Yikes - look at that nasty wind-on in the back! :-( I'm gonna have to fix that.)

I love this room - I love the color of the walls, I love the woodwork, I love the big window, the mementos are in here; when I started machine-knitting I set up in here. But as I became more involved with crafts and my stash started to grow it became such a hassle to truck everything out and find spots for it when we had overnight company that we set up a craft room in the basement, where most of my stuff resides
, so I hadn't been spending any time in this room anymore.


This was my result from Thursday night when I couldn't see what I was doing:
I could not get a half-way-straight line across, so I 'unwove' this today and tried again, with this result:
Better, but still.... I don't think I'm going to re-start again though. Thank goodness I didn't used square knots on the tie-on! I'm planning to do a hem of about 3/4 inch (or 1 inch if it looks better), of the warp thread.


Here is the project on the Harp:
Still not much happening here. All I have left is to weave the hem, but I am very bad at finishing projects - once I get to the end I either lose interest, or I have a finishing hang-up - I think it's a hang-up. That's probably why I have so many UFO's laying around (I still haven't finished tying the fringe on the placemats).

I must say, weaving on the Harp is much easier/more comfortable than weaving on Grandma's loom. I don't know how much of it is the width difference (Grandma's is a 27", vs the Harp's 24"), and how much of it is the construction. But it sure is unwieldy waving those super-long shuttles around!


Speaking of UFOs - here is the scarf. I haven't worked on this for a week:

And then there is the spinning - the bobbin is getting close to being full (finally!):But holy cow look how much I have left to do!
The second bag of alpaca is still wadded up in the bottom of the bag, uncarded.

I need to quit my day job! LOL

I'm going to go work on a simple knitting project that I had forgotten about, but need to finish for the holidays. Thankfully I found a pair of circs to use, instead of the straights I had been using - straight needles hurt my hand something awful after just a few minutes of knitting.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home