Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday!

It's probably going to be housecleaning day, since I didn't do any yesterday. But I did make some progress on my projects.

First up, the Reader's Wrap on the Harp:The pockets are finally done. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to finish them. I did buy washable white glue the other day, but I believe some sewing or knotting needs to be done as well before removing from the loom. I'll probably look through my books during the football game today.

Next - Grandma's Hearthside loom:
As you can see, I did straighten up the warp on the back beam, which meant I had to re-tie the front beam. Also, I was having an awful time with the fell line, so I put this very small dowel in between the yarn I used to spread the warp out, and the hem, to help have something stiffer to beat against. I did get a straighter fell line, but ended up with a much more dense weave (which is actually ok - now I don't have to fold it under and stitch, plus I was having a tough time getting an even weave row-by-row). Adding the dowel, however has made it quite a bit harder to get the heddle down to the fell line to beat. Guess I'll be using the hair pick! I'm now ready to start the body of the project though. Yay!

I did some spinning between the first two weaving projects. Th
ough it was only about 45-minutes' worth, I seem to be making more obvious progress.

And then I put the small loom on the stand DH made for me. It works really really well, and I can actually sit in my recliner ('unreclined') and weave! I'm really hesitant to drill holes in the side of this loom to attach it more securely, so I'm thinking of different ways to clamp it. I think blocks of wood with a thin piece of rubbery-type material glued on to grip will probably work, but will think on it some more. The blocks would make it much easier to position the loom where I want it; and at least with this project, it should be secure enough since I'm barely beating the weft. And I am still planning on building a RH loom myself, I just don't know when I'll have the time.

Wow, just look at that crappy edge:
You sure can tell where I started! Not wanting to 'unweave' it all, I'm hoping it won't be noticeable once off the loom.

I never did get to the tied-rug project. Maybe one day this week.... I did get some rows done on the garter stitch project - no pics yet as I haven't decided if this is going to be a gift or not. :-)

And this is what my faithful companion did all day:
Actually, he and his football followed me from room to room to room (since it seems everything - or at least stuff I need for the projects) is in a different room!). No wonder he's exhausted!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home