Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, March 11, 2012

It was an experimental week...

I did a bit of spinning, but it was just more of the same that I've been working on.  I did however play in the woodshop. 

I wanted to try a wool finger on the great wheel, and since mine didn't have one I turned one from the very few photos I found on the internet:

Wool finger

I tried it, and though it was ok I can't really get far enough away from the wheel to make it useful (it is supposed to extend your reach).  If I ever get enough room in the great wheel room I may be able to give it a better try.


I also turned a wrist distaff, out of curiosity.

Wrist distaff

I found it more useful with the great wheel than the wool finger, though I do need to work on my wrapping technique. :-)

Wrist distaff loaded


And we were talking about spinning spoons on Rav's Suppported Spindling group, so I decided to make a test version.  I'm only using scraps and it's not made very well, but it really does work and I can even walk while spinning with it!

Spinning spoon

It works seated as well, though I need to figure out how to make it 'hang' lower or use a shorter spindle while seated.  I'm going to try to make a nicer one as time permits, especially after I've used this one more to figure out what modifications are needed.


I also turned a Russian spindle out of brown ebony, which is lovely wood, but it's not finished yet so you'll have to wait to see it. :-D


And now I'm off to spin some cotton on a bead spindle, and try out the spinning spoon some more. :-D

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I love your spinning spoon! Now you need to weave a band for your waist :)

    By Blogger Trisha, at 3/13/2012 4:01 AM  

  • What an awesome idea, Trisha - thank you! :-D

    I have some carpet warp I could use, or maybe I should check my handspun stash. Hmm... :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 3/14/2012 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home