Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

As promised...


A picture of the spun Icelandic on the wheel (a Babe Production double-treadle wheel). Sorry for the lousy picture. I'll try again tomorrow and move the wheel out of the sunshine. :-) I LOVE my Babe wheel - lightweight, needs little care, easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and I get satisfactory results. I can not spin for months, and then just sit down and start treadling. And you can get doo-dads for it. :-D I have the plying flyer and bobbins, though I have yet to ply - plying scares me more than warping!


I was chuffed to accomplish my goal of finishing off the 4th placemat tonight - I don't do well with deadlines (except for at work), so it is a real achievement for me.:-D
The warp is looking mighty short now - I think there are only about two or three 'wraps' around the beam now, so number 5 might be the last one. I really didn't expect it to go this quickly, since even the shortest projects take me forever, so I really need to think about what to do next!

One thing I learned tonight - which is probably obvious to everyone else - is that the stick shuttle makes an excellent beater if you need a bit more pressure on your web. Every once in a while I get a pick that just does not want to lay right for some reason, and the shuttle seems to work very well on those. I love the Kromski shuttle - very substantial in the hand, yet not heavy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home