Loomy Thoughts

Friday, July 07, 2006

Whew!

I did about another 4" of weaving last night; I would have taken a picture but it looks pretty much the same as it did before. :-)

I took my time trying Betty Davenport's yarn join, as both shuttles ran out of yarn (at different times - highly recommend that as it's much easier to do one at a time). She says for cotton and what I think she called 'firm yarns' to untwist some of the end, and take half the plys (is it 'plys' or 'plies'?) out of the web and overlap the remaining plys (does that make sense?). It seemed to work pretty well, though I haven't snipped the non-web plys yet so I could be missing something. It will be close to the middle of the placemat, so it should be a good test of how it holds up over time.

I have been noticing that at least on this placemat, that the 'just-beat' pick isn't very even, but once I throw another pair of picks (since I'm doing 2 picks per shed) it looks really good. Hadn't noticed that on the first placemat.

No other crafty stuff last night; I did take some time to gather some of my weaving supplies and put them in the new tote I bought. It's kind of like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/qdfhz

though I think the one I bought is a different brand and the lid organizer doesn't cover the entire lid. I'm able to keep my sleying hooks in the top so I don't have to dig though the tub looking for them, plus a couple of short lengths of carpet warp which now won't get tangled. I've got my basic books in the main part of the tote, along with my carpet warp spools and the smaller bits of the loom (the warping peg, the clamps). Now I just need to figure out how to store the longer bits, such as the pick-up stick, and the extra heddle. Hmm....

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2006 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home