Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, July 01, 2006

We're making progress!

Today I did a 'rotating crafts day', where I pick 4 or 5 of my favorite projects and do about an hour on each. Surprisingly, I did manage to work on 4 of them. I did a little bit of organizing while I was at it as well, so the day went pretty quickly.

I wove the spacer on the Kromski, as you can see - I spent most of the alloted Kromski time untangling yarn -sigh- or I would've gotten a lot further. I didn't see it mentioned in my beginner books, but I cut the working yarn and weaved in the ends before starting the spacer. Since I'm going to use fringe on the edges of these I didn't weave in the spacer-filler ends. I ended up only doing 4 inches of spacer (single picks of carpet warp), and that still looks like quite a lot!

I also worked on the 11" RH scarf. I did a quick sample on a cardboard loom I threw together this afternoon. I didn't like the results at all, so continued weaving the scarf as I had been.

I did several rows on the prayer shawl - wow that seems to be taking forever. I need to look for my Addis in that size and see if those will make it move along quicker than the Denise needles I'm using now. And I worked on a project that I haven't mentioned here yet.

This probably isn't considered 'real' weaving, but DH bought a waffle weave rug frame at an auction, thinking it was something else. I didn't know what it was either, but had a lot of fun investigating it. I never did find anyone who actually has one, but found the ad for this "Sears Hearthside Adjustable Rug Frame" in the 1941 Sears catalog at the library (luckily, the book "Twined Rag Rugs" by Bobbie Irwin - a very cool book btw - has a picture of one with the model name). I had warped it like a potholder loom before finding the ad, and used spool-knitted 'ropes' for weft (it has a very large gauge), and ended up with a small but very cushy rug. Once I discovered how it was meant to be used, I 'warped' it up properly, and I started tying the intersections today. I'm not sure I'm going to do very many rugs this way, unless I use heavier stuff to fill in the holes, so to speak, but it's an interesting experiment. It will be very interesting to see what it ends up looking like once off the frame and washed - IIRC the bulky cotton I'm using (S&C Crafters Cotton) shrinks a good bit - it definitely pills so is good for experimenting (I'm tying with carpet warp). So far I consider this a 'fun project' - but I only did the first row plus a couple of intersections so far, and it's a 48- by 27-inch frame. ;-)

That's all I have for tonight; I'm hoping to do a rotating crafts afternoon tomorrow - mostly the Kromski and the prayer shawl, but I'd like to get a few rows done on the Baltic Sea Stole as well. We'll just have to see what happens!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I have one I inherited at an estate sale. Where did you find directions on how to use it?
    Thank you

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/29/2016 7:47 PM  

  • Hello!

    I bought a small waffle-weave loom that still had instructions. :-) If you look at this post:

    https://loomythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/01/waffle-weaving-warning-lots-of-pictures.html

    I do a tutorial on how to weave with this. Loved the end result but wish it were bigger!

    By Blogger CL, at 10/29/2016 8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home