Loomy Thoughts

Friday, June 30, 2006

Disappointed...

The stand is here, and I spent the evening assembling it. I'm a bit disappointed in it, as it is not finished as well as I expected it to be, and I also thought it would be taller than it is. It is the exact same height as the temporary stand, and the supporting front arms do not let the loom go to a comfortable working angle for me (about 45° to me). DH will be drilling new holes in the arms so I can lower it further, and I might be rummaging in the wood shop this weekend for some blocks of wood to raise it up a bit. I was really hoping I would be able to sit in a real chair with a back, instead of on a footstool. A friend at work suggested hitting the yard sales for a wooden chair and cut the legs off, and that is an excellent idea so I will be keeping my eyes open for just such a chair. And I'll try my folding chair I use for spinning, just in case it is shorter than I think it is.

The good things about the stand are, if you are not a woodworker and don't look too close, it looks very nice, and of course matches the loom. It was easy to assemble as well. It's much lighter than the temp stand, which makes it way easier to move around. And I can put my feet on the crossbar to steady the stand while weaving, since the crossbar is firmly attached, which is much more comfortable (so far) than having to put my feet on the outside feet of the stand.

I'll be using clamps on the arms of the new stand for now, so I can get more of an angle on the loom. It is very uncomfortable for me to raise my arms and reach forward with any kind of weight - I get an awful pain in the back of my shoulders and my neck that can take days to go away. DH might get the new holes drilled next week, if I remember to remind him. :-)

I should have a new pic tomorrow, and some progress to report. I need to find and re-read my beginner books to remind myself what to do for the spacer before I start weaving again. And I'm still debating about starting over on the scarf on the 11" loom - I really need to sample. I could do that tonight - that shouldn't take long... (famous last words).






Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home