Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The promised pictures...

First, the knitted gift - a scarf in garter stitch, in Yarn Bee's Cameo, color Ivory Jade, one skein:This is the softest, silkiest yarn I've ever touched. Since it's a bit furry, every once in awhile I'd miss getting the needle throught a loop, but always caught the error. It's made of polyamide, which means nothing to me though it must be a synthetic of some kind. I'm going to have to get some for me too - I could use another scarf! LOL (I have a gift card to Hobby Lobby, so it counts as a gift in the Knit From Your Stash program.) Hmm... perhaps I can run a thin wool yarn with it to make it warmer....


And now, the tied rug (this is called 'waffle-weave', not to be confused with the waffle weave pattern on a loom) on the Hearthside Adjustable Rug Frame. It looks pretty much like the last time I posted a picture - it's hard to see progress, but I'm enjoying doing it. I'm one row short of halfway, and once I get that completed I'm going to flip the frame top-to-bottom since it is much easier to tie if I can reach over the top and work both sides at the same time. My arms aren't long enough to reach for much longer. :-)


I'm using Crafter's Cotton bulky yarn, made by Lily if I remember correctly; but I think it is discontinued. It's not spun very tight, so it's not a very sturdy yarn, depending on what you are doing with it. I get fuzz off of it when I'm using it on the spool knitter, but I like the bulky cotton. I'm using carpet warp to tie; I thought last night perhaps I should be using Crafter's Cotton to tie, but it makes a pretty good-sized bump so I decided against it (whew!). Tonight it took me about an hour to do two rows, so I think I should be able to finish it Saturday, at least enough to take it off of the frame.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • I have a waffle-weave loom I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago. Where did you find instructions for using it? I'd love to be able to try it out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2007 2:44 PM  

  • I ended up buying a smaller (placemat-sized) waffle-weave loom on eBay that had instructions! LOL

    I'll try to do a how-to post this week, with pictures. (There's probably copyright problem with just scanning the instructions and posting them - and the instructions are not all there of course!)

    By Blogger CL, at 1/22/2007 4:34 PM  

  • Thanks so much! You're a sweetheart!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/23/2007 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home