Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ta da!

First... Mmmmm... krumkake...

I haven't eaten them all - yet. If I'm not careful I may have to make another batch though. :-D I hope to make some lefse before heading to the olde homestead for the holiday, but I may run out of energy.


And now, what we've all been waiting for, to see if it would actually turn out or not:

(Click on the image for a magnified view.)

Woven on my grandmother's loom, with my grandmother's leftover quilt batting, as a gift for my mom. Pink is Mom's favorite color, but this was as close as I could get and I think it works pretty well. Grandma had quite a crafting talent - she could look at a dress and make up a pattern and sew it up perfectly; she quilted, tatted, knit, crocheted, and probably did other crafts that I don't remember or know about (I never saw this loom nor knew she did any kind of weaving until I started taking up small-loom weaving a few years ago). Unfortunately not much of that ability has passed down to me - I may have great ideas, but I'm not so good on the ability side of things.

I grew to like using that loom after all, though at first I thought it was awful to use compared to the Harp. It's just different, and takes a little adjusting to. I'll have to make notes on what worked and what didn't, for next time. (For one thing, I need to learn how to warp properly (sigh).)

This picture is before washing, and I'm going trim back the fringe by half. If the fringe knots weren't so tight I'd consider tucking the ends back into the knots, and have extra-thick fringe; but unfortunately (or fortunately, since it is now drying in the bathtub) that's impossible. The sides didn't turn out all that evenly, but I think that was somewhat because of the weft I was using - that was a real pain to work with sometimes. I'm going to try to do more detailed post about the project after Christmas. It was really a fun and relatively-quick project (it would go a lot faster if I was using roving instead of old quilt batting), and I certainly can foresee doing another one. I've got some nice Icelandic roving that needs using up.... :-D

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home