Loomy Thoughts

Monday, March 26, 2007

WeaveCast

I forgot to mention last night that WeaveCast has a podcast up about rigid heddle weaving. It includes an interview with Betty Davenport, and a review of the Schacht Flip loom. Go check it out:

WeaveCast

They also do a review of Ms. Davenport's book "Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving", and mention her video "Rigid Heddle Weaving - Level 1" (the only video of RH weaving I am aware of) and her out-of-print book, "Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle Loom".

I rented the video several years ago from Halcyon; I know it helped make sense of how to warp but I don't remember much more about it. Now that I actually weave on my RHs I need to buy my own copy.

I have the "Textures" book as well, but I've been holding off on that until I work through the "Hands On" book first (and I've mostly been jumping around doing projects as I think of them, instead of following any of the books).

I found the podcast quite interesting, though not what I had expected (I had expected information on how to do things, but that wasn't the aim of the podcast). This is the first chance I've had to listen to any of the podcasts, so I don't know what the others are like; but I will be listening to them all, eventually. :-D

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • where did you get the texture book of Davenport? I thought it's out of print and really difficult to get.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2007 10:30 AM  

  • As far as I know, it is still out of print. At one time Ms. Davenport was self-publishing her book, and I bought it directly from her. That was several years ago though, and I haven't heard any mention of her doing that since.

    If I do hear of that happening, I will be sure to post it on the blog as I know you are not the only one looking for that book. I, for one, would like a 'real' copy of the book, as what I got is much like a photocopy, and the photographs did not reproduce very well.

    By Blogger CL, at 4/21/2007 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home