Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, September 16, 2007

I have nuthin'...

Well, I do have a killer cold that kept me from doing anything all weekend - I'm just now trying to catch up on e-mails. Thankfully Li in the comments asked me a question about the towels, so I actually have something to post about!

She asked:

"
How long does it take to do those lovely towels on the harp? What are the dimensions?"

It took me about 2 months to make these. Keeping in mind I don't craft every night, I'm really slooow, and I've been on quite a spinning kick (and I was avoiding doing the finishing for about a month), a normal person could probably whip out 3 of these in a couple of weeks, if not less. I know the dishcloths didn't take me long at all; maybe two weeks or so.

As to dimensions, finished and washed dimensions are approximately 21 x 17". I haven't held them up to a 'regular' dishtowel yet to see if I like the dimensions, but they look like they should be a tiny bit narrower - but it's all personal taste. The dishcloths definitely need to be wider, but they were a by-guess-by-gosh warp, as my mom would say. :-) The towels were done with a 10-dent heddle, the cloths with an 8; and I can't tell the difference in the hand of them (I think the cloths might be too small to tell). I guess I'm going to have to do a test-drive with them.

I'm planning to do these again in yellows, and I was going to do the math this weekend, but with this cold the most I could do was figure out which movie to watch next. :-( So I'll probably do the math this next weekend.

So the current plan of the week is to finish off spinning that super-hairy sample, start spinning the brown/silvery-gray roving for my "Saturday sweater", and continue on the red Colonial (for some reason I can't spin that for very long). Oh, and something to spin on the Spindolyn - I'll have to think on that - maybe a silk hankie?

I also want to get out a Loomette and finish off the current square that's on that, and get back to doing that project (a bunch of sampler squares in a rayon chenille). And start doing the math for the next set of towels on the Harp and cloths on the Flip - which reminds me, I need to find my notes on this project and put them into the computer. Hmm... wonder how much I'll actually get done?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I've been reading your blog for a few months. I have an ashford rigid heddle. Somehow last night at my weavers guild meeting i decided to do the towel exchange, so your blog is now relevant, before this I've woven lots of fashion scarves.


    What yarn do you reccomend?

    By Blogger Sarah, at 9/18/2007 2:13 PM  

  • Oh how FUN! It's going to depend on if you want a thinner towel, or a thicker towel. The towels I made are like those small handtowels you use in the kitchen, where the towels the floor-loomers make are usually much thinner, more like I what call the 'flour sack towels'. I used worsted Peaches & Cream and 8/4 carpet warp for these thicker towels, and a 10-dent heddle (might use an 8 next time); 8/2 cotton is supposed to make a really nice thinner towel, but I haven't done it yet. Do you have the newer Ashford RH book? I think there are towel patterns in there. I'll look when I get home tonight.

    By Blogger CL, at 9/19/2007 7:10 AM  

  • CL, do you live in Maine?

    We're in Northern Maine and might as well be in the Yukon as far as finding local weaving resources. I've just ordered my wife a rigid heddle loom for her birthday (32" Kromski). I've taken your suggestion on books to purchase and have given my wife your website here for her to review.

    Best wishes.

    Jim in Maine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/19/2007 4:44 PM  

  • Jim,

    LOL! I don't live in Maine, but I've always wanted to visit - it looks beautiful. :-D

    What a great present for your wife! I hope she finds my blog helpful, and if you or your wife have any questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer them!

    I look forward to hearing about her weaving adventures - and maybe even reading her future blog! :-)

    By Blogger CL, at 9/20/2007 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home