Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Yep, it's another spinning post!

Since I'm demoing spinning tomorrow I figured I'd better spin this week (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!). I'm still figuring out the charkha, and trying to a little bit on it every day. I finished spinning the Polwarth (YAY!), and it's definitely going to need to be plyed - there is quite a variation in size all along the yarn. :-/ I started the new stuff - the wool/mohair blend that I still haven't gotten a picture of for you yet (I'll try to remember tomorrow) - I quite like it thought it's a bit 'rough'.

I'm planning to take the Production wheel with me as well, which I also do at the spinning club meetings so people can try spinning if they want. I use the roving that Babe's Fiber Garden sells, and split it lengthwise once or twice plus pre-draft it for the newbies. My friend also brings her Fiber Starter - you can't mess up a Babe!

Some can, however, develop a wobble. Now the wobble itself doesn't bother me - it's the SQUEAKING. It's driving me nuts! IMO the maiden is too heavy for the upright, and pushing up on the maiden does stop the squeak. Nels at the Garden suggested putting a support between the maiden and the base or floor (and I've seen one online as well), so this is what I did this afternoon:


Oh dear. Actually, that's not bad for cardboard and Gorilla tape. And it works. It will tide me over until one of us gets around to making a wooden one, which hopefully will be soon! I might have to modify it a bit tonight as well. I'll take it along to the demo tomorrow, but I'll try not to use it as it's so unattractive!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home