Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Picture Sunday!

I'm running a bit behind, so this will be brief! And no, I didn't get to sewing the towels today :-( (but I did get the weed-whacking done!).

First, the floor loom:

Looks ready to go! I think I need to re-tie the treadles though.


The Brown Sheep mill-end roving:


I still can't get over how silvery-gray it looks - what happened to the brown? I still like it though. And I think I found a pattern for it in my stash last night.


I've also spent quite a bit of time googling for a sideways funnel-necked garter stitch sweater for the red Colonial. Good thing it's taking awhile to spin because I sure am striking out! I did just run across a book listed at Amazon - I'm going to see if the library can get it for me so I can see what patterns it has before I decide whether to buy it though.


And I forgot to mention yesterday - I'm 2-plying the Polwarth.

It's not coming out very well. I started spinning this two years ago, did about a half of a bobbin, and then put it aside until now. My spinning skills have improved a little bit since then so of course the new stuff isn't the same as the old stuff. Also, I'm plying from one ball again - this time by holding it in my hand instead of setting it on the floor (that caused all kinds of tangles). I've discovered my fingers are too short for this, and I lack strength in my ring finger & pinkie so I'm having quite a time tensioning it properly. And parts of it is looking overplied. Sigh. So this is going to be a... very "special" yarn. :-/ And the plying is taking FOREVER. I have to stop treadling and re-do my hands every. single. time. I finish adding the twist to a section.

Time to put the big wheels away and play with the Liten Spindle. I haven't been practicing and oh boy can I tell!

Good night!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Your loom looks GREAT! Have you checked out the Kessenich website? Your loom looks much like those. http://www.kessenichlooms.com/
    Maybe an older version? With the texsolve heddles--someone paid extra for them. I can't believe it was a throw-away!

    By Blogger Trisha, at 8/27/2007 5:54 AM  

  • Hi Trisha!

    Thanks! I had not checked out the Kessenich website - it does look like my loom. I have not been able to find any makers' marks on mine so far, but at least one part was replaced before we got it.

    No texsolve heddles, unfortunately. I'm not sure what they are called, but they are plastic-coated string. Before I put any more money into this loom I'm going to see if I like weaving on it at all - I love my rigid heddle looms, and this one is 'stuck' in the basement so I don't know how much I'll weave on it.

    Still it has been a good deal - we replaced the broken beater bar upright with 'stash' wood, I had to buy a reed and a boat shuttle, but that was it. It came with a sectional beam that is not 100%, but I won't be sectional-warping anyway. I'll be able to discover if I like multi-harness looms on the cheap. :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 8/27/2007 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home