Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, August 25, 2007

It's a No-Pictures Saturday!

I actually have a bit of weaving content today - I finally re-assembled the beater bar on the floor loom and put a narrow 10-dent reed in it. :-) My current plan is to do a very simple plain weave scarf or (relatively-narrow) shawl, perhaps out of Lion Brand Homespun since I have a TON of it (I wish I had a larger-dent reed - though by the time I get around to warping I might have one).

I still need to do the hems on the towels from the Harp, and it's on my list of things-to-do-this-weekend (so far I've only crossed off two things!). Then wash the towels & the dishcloths and see how I like the hand of them since I used different dents, pick a hem method, and then warp up both the Harp & the Flip for another set.

On the spinning front, though I feel like I'm doing a lot of spinning on it, I'm not getting through the red Colonial mix from The Fold (shown in the previous post) very fast. I really like it though, and bought another pound of it so I have enough for a sweater (I hope). It's very easy to spin - I've not pre-drafted it at all like I usually do. I realize that since a couple-three years have passed since I bought the first batch I will have to make allowances for the second batch being a different dye lot, and be sure to mark them well so I don't screw them up. :-) I also have found I prefer to spin this in daylight, so that kind of limits my spinning time (on that, anyway). I'm planning to make this a 3-ply as well, and I've emptied and found all of my bobbins so I'm set - until I start spinning something else at the same time.

I Navajo-plied the silver/really-light-gray & brown Brown Sheep mill end yarn, and though I'm not happy with the lumps Navajo-plying leaves in the yarn, I really like the yarn itself - so I ordered two pounds more from the Sheep Shed Studio (I don't know how much I started out with, but I doubt it was a pound - probably 8 ounces or so - I hope 2 pounds will be enough!). Carol was extremely accommodating in finding matching roving and quite fast to answer e-mail, and I'll be doing business with them again. :-D I want to make this yarn into a weekend-type sweater. It's rather 'fuzzy', and bloomed nicely after washing. It is over-twisted and over-plied though - I had little pigtails sticking out of the skein the first time I washed it, as I wasn't able to weight it very well. So I wound it back onto the niddy noddy and wet it down in the shower and dried it again - it looks good now. This isn't super-wash, so I'll have to be very careful with it. What an easy spin though!

I spent most of the day cleaning up the basement, which includes the craft room and the floor loom, so I probably won't do a lot of anything tonight. I'm planning to post pictures of the floor loom and the BS skein tomorrow - if I get started early on the towels perhaps I'll have pictures of those too. I need to do some weed-eating in the yard first - the invasive chives are blooming again. :-(

Stay tuned!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home