Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Not much to report again

This confounded cold is still hanging on, leaving me without much energy after a workday so I've done no weaving, and not much spinning.

BUT... I just did the math for the next set of dishcloths on the Flip, so hopefully I'll get that warped tomorrow. I'm going to change
my warping procedure a bit. Instead of using one warping peg, I'm going to try using a multi-peg coat-hanging thing. If this works satisfactorily, it will be best for wider warps, such as those on the Harp - you will get a more-even warp (I think). Plus DH made a raddle for me to try out.

A commenter asked for recommendations for yarn for towels, and I said I would check The Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving - and I finally found it (and the notes for the dishcloths I made - whew!). The towel pattern in the book uses 8/2 cotton with a 12.5 dent heddle. These appear to be much thinner than the ones I made. Hmm... I actually have some 8/2 - I'm going to have to make a list of all the things I want to make!


On the spinning front, I only spun at the spinning club meeting this week, though I'll be taking the Spindolyn with me today as we are going to The Big City to shop (whee).

Also, a friend has lent me her mini combs to try. I must say I like how light they are, but they are so SMALL - you don't get much off of one. My spinning friend is going to lend me her Indigo Hound combs Monday so I can compare (while I can still remember what the minis were like) before I decide which type to buy. I don't think I will be sitting and combing for hours, thoug
h - even the minis make my hands tired (though it could be that nasty pink stuff I'm combing). I'm attending a spin-in with vendors next month and hoping someone will have combs for sale. And I'm considering doing a combing post on the blog next week.

One question I have is - is this what dyed locks no
rmally look like? These aren't quite as representative, as I might be able to guess which end is the butt end, but wow these are long (6 - 8") and it is very hard to separate the locks, if that is what they are. Some of it looks like felted roving.

I might not have a choice as to combing these - I was hoping to try spinning from the lock but I don't think that can happen. I'm going to try carding a few as well, and see which I like better.


Your nature shot o' the day:

Plants are doing their 'last gasp blooming', as winter will be here soon (we don't seem to have much more than a couple of weeks of Fall).



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home