Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, February 09, 2008

It's a Not-Much-To-Report Saturday!

It's been a rather dull week on the fibery front. I still haven't hemmed the dishcloths I took off the Flip last weekend, I still haven't finished the bobbin of red colonial wool, I still haven't finished Li's scarf - but I've been working on the last two at least. I wound the merino/tencel on the niddy noddy so it's now ready to wash. Progress isn't obvious, so I didn't take pictures.

I finally got around to ordering an Ashford 5-dent heddle for my Harp, and it arrived today. I just tried it in the heddle blocks, and it fits perfectly - and it's white, not pink like the Ashford 5-dent heddle for the Flip (WHEW!). Maybe the colors are different according to heddle length as well as dent? I'm just glad it's not pink! :-)

I also learned this week that Kromski makes an extra-slow whorl for the Polonaise, so I ordered one of those, and a Schacht Mini Loom for fun.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get done this weekend. I went stash-diving this morning, and found a bunch of small fiber samples that I think I will do on the Polonaise next, as well as some 'Blueberry Sundae'-dyed merino that needs spinning too. We took the new car for a drive today since the sun is finally out, and picked up some of those tags with strings that I can put on my samples when I get them spun. I also realized that I completely forgot to do a record card for the merino/tencel and of course couldn't find a single index card in the house, so we picked up some of those too. I really need to hem those dishcloths, as I didn't secure the hems before taking the 'strip' off the loom (DOH!) - maybe I'll do that tomorrow, as DH is going to be gone for most of the day.

Perhaps I'll have pictures to post tomorrow, but don't hold your breath!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Oh you reminded me. I want to order the blue Ashford for my harp. Glad the scarf is coming along,
    Li

    By Blogger Life's a Stitch, at 2/10/2008 12:08 AM  

  • The Ashford heddles used to be white but were changed to colors maybe two years ago. Apparently you got an old one, still works.

    Life's a stitch, I have a 24 inch blue heddle and have used the green one, and I found no difference! So if it is easier to get the standard than the big hole one, go for it.

    www.knitsandweaves.com

    By Blogger Sarah, at 2/12/2008 10:33 AM  

  • Advice please: I have 800 yards of lovely dk weight rayon. Is this enough to make a decent sized scarf on the Harp? Is there a formula to figure out finished size? Would you use the 10 or the 8 dent heddle? Any suggestions in general? I'm clueless, have not had enough experience to judge these things and I have already wasted some nice alpaca.

    By Blogger Life's a Stitch, at 2/17/2008 12:00 PM  

  • Sorry for the delay in answering - I was delayed on an out of town trip by a winter storm for two days (but I'm almost finished with Li's scarf - just need to weave in the ends!).

    Thank you for that interesting information, Sarah! I was hoping they had changed their heddles to white instead - darn! :-)

    Li, I think I saw an answer to your yardage question on one of the small looms group, didn't I? I haven't tried to figure that out yet, but I'm sure one of my books says something about it - let me know if you still need the info and I'll look it up.

    Hmm... I think a 10-dent would work; an 8-dent would be more drapey though - probably not quite lacy, but it should be a looser weave. Get a little square of cardboard, put slits in the ends at 8-dents and weave a little square and see how you like it - I'm afraid they swatch in weaving too! :-( Off the top of my head, I would probably use an 8-dent for rayon, and a 10-dent for wool - I like my scarves denser because I'm always cold; but I don't think of rayon as warm. But I very well could be wrong, too! LOL

    By Blogger CL, at 2/21/2008 6:14 PM  

  • Did you get the other stuff? Is it what you wanted? I'm glad the reed color was white:-)

    By Blogger Beth, at 2/22/2008 7:22 AM  

  • I did, Beth, thank you! Sorry I haven't e'd you about it yet - I'm quite the space-case this week!

    Love the corn fiber roving - as soon as I finish the llama on the Polonaise I'm going to try it. :-D

    Thank you!

    By Blogger CL, at 2/22/2008 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home