Loomy Thoughts

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the YIKES!

The good news is, I actually wove on the Flip this weekend!

The bad news is, I'm sure I did less than an inch. I don't know why I can't get excited about this project - it's colorful, I get to do different color variations on each dishcloth (I want to add a green that wasn't what I had expected when I ordered it, and see if the yellow tones it down), and they go fast if I actually work on them. :-/

Perhaps I should set it aside and come up with a new project for the Harp.


Spinning Stuff:

More good news! I'm almost done with the beautiful blue merino/tencel roving on the Polonaise!

The bad news? I'm almost done with
the beautiful blue merino/tencel roving on the Polonaise! I'm lovin' this stuff. I'm having a bit of trouble getting used the Polonaise because I am not spinning on it very often. It's easy to spin on, but it also spins backwards really easily and I need to watch out for that. Plus I'm used to being able to pull back on my thread and everything not turning - doesn't work that way on this beautiful wheel! I just need to spin on her more often. I've been trying to get the Brown Sheep roving done on the Pedal Pusher, but I'm going to finish spinning this tonight and it will be ready for plying (I think I'll try doing a 2-ply from a nosty).

More good news! I FINALLY got a bobbin filled of the Brown Sheep wool roving. This stuff is taking forever, mostly because I am a pokey spinner.


The YIKES news? The wheel I'm spinning it on - the Babe Pedal Pusher - is broken.
There used to be a piece of plastic on that side - the break goes all the way to the footman. The entire wheel is twisting quite badly every time I push that pedal down now, plus there is a new 'click' when it starts going down from the top of the revolution. I don't know if it will last through this project since the pedal is also cracked between the two screws you see on the top of that metal plate, and I'm concerned about getting different results if I move the project to a different wheel. Though the Production DT is the same brand with the same-sized wheel, it's a much-older model and it doesn't act the same (it's a lot 'stiffer', for one thing).

I really loved this wheel when I first got it, but it sure hasn't been holding up to being the most popular wheel here - the squeak that was driving me nuts (probably a precurser to the current problem) developed in the first 4 - 6 weeks. And I don't spin every day - I commonly go for a few weeks without spinning. Sigh. I don't know what I'll do if the PP doesn't hold up - I'm sure I have at least another pound of that roving to go - though perhaps subconsciously I knew there was a problem and that's why I haven't been getting much done. Hmm....

Oh well. I'll just be spinning on the Polonaise (I keep wanting to call her 'Polly' for some reason) tonight and listening to old Sherlock Holmes radio shows. I'll worry about the PP while I'm spinning on it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi CL,
    Sorry about your PP. Have you contacted Babes - You haven't had it that long, maybe they'll replace it.

    As for the weaving, everything comes in cycles I find. You'll get back to it. Try to get yourself to weave a little everyday. Try different yarns with your warp to see what happens, in other words make it an experiment or a learning experience. I weave dishcloths and towels to learn pickup techniques or color affects. It's fun because you're making something useful but it doesn't have to be perfect.
    Peace
    C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2008 10:47 AM  

  • Hi C!

    I have contacted Nels, and he is going to try to fix the pedal. I sure hope it works, as this is the wheel I use the most. But that means I have take the pedals off and ship them back to them. :-(

    Weaving a little every day is a good idea. I should get back to doing the Weave-It weave-along - those go pretty quickly - plus I still have that bag on a cardboard loom (intended to hold a bottle of oil for a spinning wheel). Maybe that will tell me if it's just this particular project, or just a general crafty funk. I've done this pattern before, and played with color then. That's my plan this time too - if I can only get motivated!

    Thanks for the ideas, C!

    By Blogger CL, at 1/23/2008 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home