Loomy Thoughts

Saturday, February 02, 2008

What do we have here?

Hmm... an empty loom! What a surprise!


Ta-da! The dishcloths are DONE!


(For some reason, my camera doesn't do green very well.)

Playing with how the green affects the yellow was a lot of fun, and really motivated me. So much so, that when I saw I wasn't going to be able to get another color repeat on the last dishcloth, I retied the warp beam to squeeze out a tiny bit more warp, and wove so far into the heddle block that the heddle could no longer come forward to change the sheds! But I was able to finish the pattern properly, and I even got the hem the correct depth.




Another ta-da! - the car search is over. We bought a Honda Fit Monday night (and ever since then have had really lousy weather - note the snow stuck in the wheels!).


The color is called "Blackberry Pearl", and it's a dark purple/black. It's much cuter in person than even the pictures on Honda's website. It's a very peppy car, it's quite roomy and the seats are infinitely convertible so I can rearrange the interior for different purposes - I will be able to put my two castle spinning wheels upright behind the seats! - and I'm already getting over 33 mpg without the car even being broken in and driving in super-high winds.

But to all the car makers out there - and I'm sure I speak for many many car owners - what is it with putting cupholders in bizarre places and in odd sizes???? There is one cup holder a little behind the seatback, and there are two far in front of the shifter where it is hard to safely reach them while driving - could you have found worse places to put them? And the door panel is thick enough that I'm not sure I can hang a cupholder from the window, but I'll be trying that out. Sheesh!

But so far I really like the car, and foresee many happy miles with it. :-D


Today I'm going to be doing the housework that I didn't do yesterday, since my spinning buddy reminded me that it was a 'free day' and I should have fun. :-D And then I'm going to wax the Polonaise and the stand the Flip is on, and wash the merino/tencel so I can do some sampling on a loom (and figure out much I really have). And maybe spin on the red colonial roving, since I haven't touched that in quite awhile, and think about what my next weaving project will be (maybe a matching blanket for the new car, if I have the proper yarn...).

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Hi CL

    The dishcloths look great! Doesn't it feel good to finish a project and have it turn out the way you'd hoped.

    Don't clean too much and remember to reward yourself with plenty of spinning and weaving.

    Peace
    C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2008 2:55 PM  

  • I love your dishclothes! How are you planning on finishing them? Can you post the process?

    By Blogger Amanda Cutler, at 2/25/2008 4:21 PM  

  • Thanks! I'll be folding the hems under and sewing them on my sewing machine. I've posted two entries about the hemming process - the first one I didn't do 'smaller-thread hems', but I show how I stitched them here:
    http://loomythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/06/picture-sunday.html

    Then, when I did a set of towels in the same pattern, I did do 'smaller-thread hems' and talked about it here:
    http://loomythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/09/we-have-weaving-content.html

    (If the links don't work, these posts are in the June 2007 & September 2007 archives).

    Now, if I had been smart, I would have 'painted' the hem edges with a solution of white glue and water to kind of hold them in place for stitching, but I forgot to do that. :-/

    By Blogger CL, at 2/25/2008 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home