Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, November 16, 2008

The sampler scarf is finished...

Though it's lightweight and not very soft, I like it. I do still need to trim the fringe evenly:

You can see how some of the patterns draw in more than others, and, at least if using acrylic supplemental weft on a wool warp & weft, I need to pull the supplemental weft tighter as it turned out a bit loopy after washing (click to biggify both pictures):


Since I had Tuesday off, I did the planning for the next set of samples from Davenport's Textures & Patterns book, and for a rug on the Hearthside. I also put warps on these two looms.

So Saturday I threaded the heddle and tied-on the Flip

and the Harp (finally!)

and the Hearthside. Oh my aching back!!

This loom takes extra-long to warp as you can't use a heddle hook to thread the holes - they have to be done by hand, and the holes are barely big enough for the 8/4 carpet warp I'm using.

I also added another rod to the Hearthside's cloth beam stick - those wide pieces of apron make it hard to get a relatively even tie-on. I tried lashing on, but it just didn't work with those cloth bands.

Notice the rubber bands hanging off of the Hearthside's heddle? I used those to hold the tie-on rod evenly as I tied on. I did this on all three looms and it worked GREAT. Something I will be adding to my warping procedure - for both tie-ons, warp- and cloth-beams.

Another thing I tried in this week's warp-a-thon was an adaptation of Wovenflame's "door warping method". Instead of using a door, after I was done running the warp through the heddle, I put the little table that has the warping pegs on it on a piece of flat cardboard, and the weight that I use to keep the table from tipping was placed on top of the table. I was able to keep a decent tension as I wound on as the cardboard slid easily - but not too easily - over the rug. One adaptation I'll need to make is something to keep the cardboard under the table legs, as it tended to slide off every so often.

I was hoping to get started on the Flip project today, but I just never got to it. Perhaps tonight I'll try fitting the cloth from the Bonhop to the mp3 player and doodads. Or read one of the way-too-many books on my nightstand. :-)

Also, I just received Weaving Made Easy, by Liz Gipson. I haven't had a chance to look at it very closely, but first impressions are that it is definitely aimed at beginners, the photography is beautiful, and the projects do appear to be easy at first glance. She has a large section for the basics, but only uses a warping board, not a warping peg. I will try to read it closer this week so I can do a better review.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Another thing you can use is a clamp, the kind you squeeze to tighten. It has a bar that sticks up if you clamp it to a table top. I use several of these instead of the pegs and they won't shift. Loved the post!

    By Blogger Trisha, at 11/18/2008 4:23 AM  

  • That's a smart idea - I use those clamps to keep my pegs (in the form of a pegged coat rack) in place, but just the clamps would definitely be more stable as the rack is beveled making it difficult to clamp securely.

    Thanks for the great idea! And I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 11/18/2008 7:21 AM  

  • Looks like a lot of work. Nice results.

    By Blogger Life's a Stitch, at 11/21/2008 10:48 PM  

  • Thank you! It actually wasn't a lot of work at all - each section took about an hour total, which includes me watching TV and getting interrupted a lot - mostly by the dogs. The different float patterns were quite easy. :-D I'm looking forward to the next batch of samples!

    By Blogger CL, at 11/23/2008 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home