Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Weaving!

I finally trimmed the fringe for the log cabin runner:


though I obviously have not washed or pressed it. :-/ Also, I tied a "Woven Phillipine Edge" (source: "Interweave's Compendium of Finishing Techniques"):

(Sadly my picture-taking skills don't seem to be improving)

I really like this braided-look, and it isn't nearly as difficult as it may sound. The only problem I had was using such dark yarn made it hard for me to see where I was in the process, after interruptions.



I also warped up the Bonhop for an mp3 player + doodads pouch. I'm using acrylic yarn for the first time, plus I tried lashing on (as best as I could on this loom) on the cloth beam. I used Leigh's Fiber Journal's instructions for a starting point. This loom isn't conducive to adding an apron rod, so I tied the lashing onto the plastic 'comb' that is screwed onto the beam.


Not perfect, but I think it would be easier on a larger loom. The weaving is challenging, since this a heavy worsted - it's a little tight in the heddles and especially the beater. And this acrylic (and I can't remember what brand it is) is definitely stretchy. But the loom is still fun, and I was able to warp it up fast and not aggravate my sore hand messing with it. :-)



And yes, my hand is still sore - more specifically the heel on the thumb side. Gripping is uncomfortable to downright painful, depending, so still no spinning or knitting. I should be using this time to come up with more RH weaving projects but I've been mighty lazy lately. I really need to get to it though, as I'm doing a demo on ALL of my RHs next Spring. I'm going to do a rug on the Hearthside RH rug loom, and I also need projects for the 24" Harp, the 15" Flip, and the 11" Mattel - that's a lot of projects! LOL

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home