Loomy Thoughts

Monday, November 03, 2008

More weaving!

(But no pictures yet.)

I received the new revised edition of Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle Loom by Betty Davenport, and was so inspired I warped up the Flip for a sampler scarf of the first 10 patterns. :-D I'm using a mystery yarn that was given to me by my spinning buddy; the burn test tells me it's wool and it feels 'harsh' but I hope it softens up once washed. I've only gotten as far as tying on and doing the header rows - I may start the actual weaving tonight, if I can find my shorter pickup stick.

I haven't done a comparison of the two editions of this book yet, but at first glance it looks like the articles Ms. Davenport included in my older edition aren't included in the new version. I'll double-check that once I run across my older version, and do a proper review later.


I also warped up the Harp for a top in A Handwoven Treasury by Jane Patrick. I really screwed up the warping - I warped way too many threads, and even warped two sets in a slot TWICE.(sigh) This project isn't tied on, but the warp is wound on. I'll need a pickup stick for this project too, so tonight might be spent look for bits of my looms (I've even misplaced a couple of bolts for my Harp stand). :-/ I hope this isn't an omen for this project!


The Bonhop project is almost finished - I can see bare wood on the warp beam. :-D I think I'll be able to get a couple more inches woven, and then it will be finished.


Knitting:
I also did two more rows on the wristwarmers - my wrist had been bothering me all week so I put off doing any more knitting until yesterday. I'm not far enough along to see a pattern emerging yet, but I'm still loving the yarn.


No spinning this past week - and I think I'll be weaving this week. :-) Maybe I'll even upload pictures mid-week, for a change!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home