Loomy Thoughts

Monday, July 05, 2010

Tour de Fleece has begun!

I've been doing pretty good so far - my goal is to spin up a 8-ounce merino braid and navajo-ply it before the end of the TdF.
I also want to squeeze in about 2 ounces of an angora/bombyx silk blend that is in the mail to me, but as slow as the merino is going (it's spinning rather fine :-/) I'm not sure I'll be able to.

Anyway, it started Saturday, and each day my goal was to spin for 2 hours, which I exceeded each day.  I'm up to about 3/4 of a bobbin!
 But I'm back to work tomorrow, so I'm going to aim for a 1/2 hour tomorrow as I need to give the great wheel a good test-drive for Thursday's Spin in the Park.  And I need to handcard some wool for the SitP (yuck). 

Yesterday I balanced the great wheel's drive wheel and screwed most of the base together; today I cleaned off most of the printing on the pvc and epoxied the maiden's 'adjusting screw' in.  I noticed the knitting needle I'm using for a spindle was a bit more flexible than I remembered and I may end up doing a quickie replacement with a bamboo needle (thank goodness the whorls aren't glued in place!).

Oh and I finished the Tiger Eye - it is beautiful when out in the sun!  The photo really doesn't show it properly - you can't see the gold Firestar at all which really sets it off.  I'm thinking a shawl - I did remember to count it this time, now I just need to figure out which skeinwinder I have and do some math to see if I have enough yardarge. :-)

Labels: