Loomy Thoughts

Monday, May 17, 2010

Building your own stuff

This is what I did this weekend:


I'm building a great wheel (with DH's help, of course). :-)  It's based in general on the photos I've seen of a Babe Great wheel; it will be interesting to see if it actually works.  And I'm sure it needs a bit of tweaking (it's not complete yet as I'm waiting on some epoxy to dry).  I think the base ended up a bit long, and I may need to shorten the maiden too - it looks awfully tall in this photo.  Plus glue more of the base together (but not completely - it must be somewhat portable).

It has been easy to build, yet difficult.   I've seen very few great wheels in person, and only one actually being spun on (watching YouTube is just not the same) - so of course I've not used one myself, making it harder to figure out how big, how wide, how tall.  Plus making a wheelchair wheel bigger around was a challenge.  Luckily DH is very smart. :-D

I may paint the drive wheel and extenders brown, eventually; but again I'm going to wait until I'm sure it works. :-D


If there is interest, I'll do a longer post with more details and photos (if the wheel works!).

Labels: