Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh. Em. Gee.

I whipped up these extra-small spindles Thursday night before leaving for my Mom's - aren't they cute?
I made them for spinning the little batt bits I get from Corgi Hill Farm.  I do need to work on the hook positioning a bit as they tend to wobble some when used as a drop spindle, they spin supported just fine.  I really love the copper spindle - I love copper. :-)

But that wasn't the OMG - this is:

A Rick Reeves 19" oak double-drive saxony wheel in pretty much unused condition!  I stopped in an antique store and almost tripped over it not 3 feet from the door.  It was labeled 'ornamental', so I checked it over pretty well and everything important seems to be there except one wooden nut for the one of the wheel uprights   It may have originally come with a distaff - the only info I could find on this shows that it should have come with one, which I'm hoping I can replace; and it also appears there should have been two other whorls, but I'm not sure about that either.  The leather bearings don't have oil marks on them, including the leather bearings in the wheel uprights.  I'm not seeing any dings or dents yet either, but I haven't started cleaning it.  It's not very dirty, but use some Howard's and lots of oil.

I rigged up a drive band for it, but all Mom had was seine twine so it slipped a lot - but it works!  I can't wait to give it a good spin!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home