Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, October 17, 2010

As usual...

I  didn't do much this week.  I did a little bit of work on the Davis head today but wanted to watch my football team today so am back upstairs.  I did pull the Davis base out, and wow is that going to be a lot of work.
The irons look a bit rusty, and the cabinet needs a lot of reconditioning (I do have the fourth drawer).  But, like the head, everything seems to work ok.  I'm planning to work on the irons/cabinet next weekend, if the weather holds.

I'm going to get back to spinning the yak blend I have on the Polonaise, because I really want to get working on this:
 BL lamb/mohair yearling
A wonderfully-soft almost-black fiber that wants to spin quite fine which will be awesome to spin on the Pol.  I picked this up at the annual spin-in yesterday from the same vendor that I bought the luscious (and yet unspun) black-ish mohair locks from last year. 

I added a little bit of fiber to my stash at the spin-in, but not nearly as much as in years past as I have an incredible stash right now and hubby said something about 'hoarding', which took some of the fun out of the day.  :-( 

But I also picked up this nicely-soft gray raw alpaca from a new supplier:
It's pretty clean and I anticipate an easy spin.

This is a really nice merino that reminds me of the red colonial wool that I still have a ton of:
merino
(And I only bought 4 ounces, so I may get this bump finished!)
 This:
 "wool" and mohair blend
and some Cormo
to try.  I'm told it's really nice to spin and makes a nice soft yarn, so I bought a little to play with.

While I was at Joann's last week looking for a particular book (which I didn't find *anywhere* in town), I picked up this book:
This is issued by the Vesterheim Museum.  Though most of the projects are beyond my knitting capabilities, the vintage photos are wonderful and there are a couple of things I should be able to make.

I need to get back to sewing my apron, but right now cleaning the head is taking up all of my working room.  I think I'm just about done with the cleaning though, depending on how thorough I want to be (I'm not sure I want to disassemble the bobbin winder or tension assembly), so hopefully I'll be able to get back to sewing pretty soon!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Doesn't it feel like more when you list it out like this? I had the same experience! I started on the dyed wool and it's spinning up just like I hoped it would. Long color repeats so I think I'm going to do the Navajo ply and get a good sock yarn.

    Good luck on the sewing machine! Lots of work but if anyone can do it, it's you!!

    By Anonymous Dianna, at 10/23/2010 12:20 AM  

  • It does! I can't wait to see your yarn - I'd better get started on mine or *someone* will be none-too-happy with me. :-D

    Thanks! The sewing machine is done enough - if I really like it I may strip and refinish the cabinet, but it's ready for a test run now.

    By Blogger CL, at 10/24/2010 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home