Loomy Thoughts

Monday, November 28, 2011

Another score!!

So I went to the same place I found my Reeves in January - I keep checking it out hoping to find some more Reeves stuff - and lo and behold my sister saw this:

A vintage skeinwinder!  It's not in perfect shape - one of the arms had broken off and been repaired, and a lot of the thicker pieces having a lot of checking from poor storage and not being cared for, but perfectly functional and very cute. :-D  I have an excessive amount of Howard's Feed & Wax on it right as it is really dry.  I can't wait to use it, though I don't know what the slat that is screwed to the side is for, and also the short dowel that is under the axle.

 I tried googling for photos and descriptions and though I found a (very) few photos of vintage winders like this, there weren't any descriptions as to what these parts were for.  There was also a staple on the face of one of the arms.

So now I need to get some singles & plying done so I can use it! :-D

I did a tiny bit of spinning over the weekend, this is just an evening's worth which is really fast for me:
I started spinning this fiber ("Enterprise", from A Dyeing Wish) on my Tiny Tibetan, but have been distracted by other things (mostly making spindles :-D) so decided to take this project with me on my Thanksgiving trip.  The spindle is a little long to be considered really portable, but I think it's my favorite spindle right now. :-D


And now, some pics for my sister:

And:

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I'm coveting your spindles. I think I may need you to bring a few to the next meeting so they can come home with me. Can I just have one of each?!

    By Blogger Dianna Smith, at 11/29/2011 7:48 PM  

  • LOL I won't have any done by the next meeting, but next time I have some I'll let you know. :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 12/15/2011 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home