Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ewww...

This is a partial churro fleece that has been marinating in my stash for a couple of years.  I wanted to wash all of it by the lock, but that was way too time-consuming because it was so dirty/greasy/gross.  So I decided to try something different. 

I put it in a bucket of water outside for almost 3 (sunny) days:

The water was so disgusting the first time that I poured it out and replaced it with fresh right away.  This afternoon when I poured the dirty water off it had the most awful smell to it. ::gag::

The fleece is now soaking in what was clean water with a bit of Dawn detergent. 
 I was going to rinse it after a few hours, but it started raining so I'll do that tomorrow.  That will give me more time to find a couple screens to put it in-between (otherwise it will disappear!).

I did wash some better-smelling stuff:

The wine-colored yarn on the right is the merino/yak from the Tour de Fleece that I finished plying this morning; the green on the left is the camel/silk from TdF.  The green in the middle is merino/silk and I don't know what the gold/yellow is.

I plyed this today too:

It is some unmarked wool in my stash that I decided to experiment with lace-spinning on the Mazurka.  It went surprisingly fast - both spinning and plying.  It will be interesting to see how it feels after washing as I spun it pretty tight.

I also got a 'new' sewing machine this week - a gift from DH's boss' family:
Yep, it's another FashionMate 237!  I love my first one, and this one also runs like a champ.  It needed a thorough cleaning and a bit of oil, but is in great shape.  I'll probably be taking this to my mom's for when the sewing bug bites. :-D

No playing on the lathe this weekend - I ran out of time.  Maybe I can get to it this week. ::fingers crossed::  I did get an order of exotic wood to play with this week, so that will be fun!

Hahaha!
He's not always photogenic! :-D

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home