Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, March 18, 2012

That was a fun weekend!

I was going to visit my mom this weekend, and heard about a 19" Reeves available for a decent price but a bit of a detour.  So of course I detoured - it turned out she had two!  Both walnut, neither quite 18".  My sister bought one, and I bought the other. :-)

Neither one appeared to have been used, but the grandkids had played with them so they aren't quite pristine.  Once we got them to Mom's and oiled and treadled a few times they broke in fast and are spinning like champs.

Oddly, on mine neither the bobbin nor the whorl are finished.  It's smaller than my 19" oak Reeves - 'only' 17.5"; my sister's is 17".  What a difference!


The walnut wheel is much much lighter in weight as well - it could make a nice travel wheel.  In fact I may take it to Spin Club this week. :-D


The seller also had an antique Finnish wheel that was in surprisingly good condition considering she was made in 1844!


Isn't she lovely?  I need to fix a small problem with the flyer, but the drive wheel spins well and once the flyer is fixed she will spin again. :-D  She still has a lot of her original paint, and I can't wait to get her cleaned up!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Beautiful wheel! Great find.

    I also weave on a 24" Kromski RH Harp

    By Blogger ChelleC, at 4/06/2012 8:57 AM  

  • Thanks! I'm thrilled with the Reeves. Though it has a warped wheel that is rather distracting it spins sooo smooooothly. :-)

    And I can't wait to get the Finnish wheel cleaned up and working - hopefully I can do some of that this weekend. :-D

    I really need to get back to weaving too - not enough (non-working) hours in the day!

    By Blogger CL, at 4/06/2012 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home