Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Saturday was for...

untangling yarn. Sigh. While stash-diving I discovered a dead mouse in one of the very few cardboard boxes that had yarn in it - yuck. What a stink too! I had to take the skeins out of their commerically-wound skeins and make hanks on my new nifty skeinwinder (I sure got that in the nick of time!) so I could wash them. Luckily the only thing the mouse 'ruined' was a short bit of spoolknitted cotton that should've already been in the trash.

And s
omehow I managed to make quite a mess of this skein too, so I spent the evening untangling and re-winding this ball o'yarn. But isn't it pretty? (You'll probably want to click on the picture for a larger view.)This is one of the yarns my de-stashing spinning friend gave me. Red, white gold, blue, green - all darker shades. This will go really well with my medium-brown corduroy coat, and despite not being able to see my mistakes I'm enjoying the easy knit. I'm using mistake rib (how appropriate, eh?), and after knitting a few more rows yesterday I've decided to keep knitting instead of frogging and switching to weaving.

I was able to do a few rows on the tied rug as well - almost done (at least on the frame)!
Unfortunately I didn't get any weaving done on the small RH scarf, as I can't weave with the hound on my lap, but I did at least get it back on it's stand, and hope to do some weaving today.

And, I'm flashing my (incredibly messy) stash - at least most of i
t. The rest of the stash is small stuff here and there:



One of the stacks in the first picture is fabric for sewing - I don't have a lot (especially compared to my yarn!) but I do need to get that knocked down as well. The bottom (unseen) basket is full of worn-out jeans that I need to do something with - I'd like to make a bedspread but I don't know enough about sewing/quilting to figure out how I want to do it yet. Better get it done before the mice eat it all (a drawback of living in the country). If the floor loom does fit in that room I'll still be able to weave and sew at the same time, though perhaps with difficulty. My favorite machine - a Singer 15-88 treadle - is in that room; my second-favorite is a 3/4 size handcrank (a Singer 128-23 that I converted from electric) though that I can use anywhere, besides the electric Touch & Sew in the kitchen.

And the spinnnig stash (there's some in the second picture above, plus I still have that 8 ounces of alpaca to spin):




As you can probably tell, the stash is spread amongst three different rooms - guess I need to get busy! A lot of the stash is acrylic though, and I've been moving away from acrylics into natural fibers. One of the huge bins is FULL of Lion Brand Homespun & Chenille - if you have ideas of what to do with it - preferably weaving ideas, but I knit & crochet too - I'd love to hear them!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home