Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Surprise!

I actually have weaving content this week! :-)

I've started warping the Flip for a log cabin bag that I'm making up as I go along (everyone say it along with me: "YIKES!"):

I'm trying out a warp tensioner (the blue thing) that I made from a picture I saw somewhere on the internet. It consists of two slats of wood, covered with fabric (I used some fleece), with bolts & wingnuts on the end to press them together. So far, I think it works ok, but would've worked better if I had 'combed' the warp threads first, as they were a little tangled (not sure how that happened!). Also, though I drilled a hole in the middle for another screw, I didn't have another one handy and one of the boards is a bit warped, so it didn't work quite as well as it could have. I'll use a third screw next time, and clamp these two boards together (with the raddles as well, for extra stiffness) during storage to 'unwarp' the one and to make sure they don't warp in the future. Also, I'll let it sit up against the heddle next time, as I had to clamp it where it was since it kept trying to 'roll' up on its side due to the shape of the loom sides.

I'll definitely try the tensioner again ag
ain though - it's more convenient than the different methods I've tried so far. And I'm not nervous about leaving the warp untied for awhile, since the tensioner is holding onto the threads quite firmly - I won't have to do the entire warping job in one day anymore.

And that's an Ashford heddle on my 15" Flip - it's just a little sloppy in the heddle blocks, but as you can see it sits in them just fine.



The Bonhop warped:


It's kind of a quick-and-dirty warping job, as I just want to see how this loom works. So far, it's a lot of fun!

And weaving goes a whole lot faster than that cardboard loom!

I've about doubled the amount on the loom since this last picture was taken, and I didn't work on it very long. The Bonhop does have drawbacks but it sure is easy to use. To open the shed, just press down on one of the plastic heddles. For a different shed, press down on the other heddle. The shed is a bit narrow, but it's big enough. Unfortunately the 'beater' has a bit of a bow in the middle, as it is plastic or nylon, making it tough to use just the beater for an even fell line, but it works if you keep an eye on what you're doing. I'll be keeping this little cutie!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Okay, you total enabler, jeesh I went to home depot got my stuff and started banging and drilling. Makes a girl feel powerful. hehe.. Other than fleece, to wrap the tensioner what do you suggest, I thought an old towel might work, whatta think?

    By Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM, at 4/17/2008 9:51 AM  

  • LOL At least it's not another loom that is tempting you (yet).

    An old towel might work, though a smoother nap would probably work better. IIRC, the material in the picture I saw online looked like canvas, and I think the post said something about using 'thick fabric'. The fabric should be sturdy, which the fleece isn't, but I suppose it would depend on how often you warp a loom, and what you are using for warp, and how tight you have the tensioner cranked down. Hmm... that's not very helpful, is it. :-/

    I would go with something smoother than the towel, if you have something else handy - otherwise, try the towel - you might have to tighten the tensioner down a bit more. If you do use a towel, it might help if you add a tiny bit of padding on the 'warp thread' side.

    By Blogger CL, at 4/17/2008 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home