Loomy Thoughts

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

We have pictures!

Items I mentioned in my post earlier today:

Spinning:
The Spindolyn with the unknown blue stuff (I think it's something like moor or marsh sheep?), showing the variegation I'm trying to preserve:

And a close-up, showing that I am, so far, somewhat successful, though the yarn isn't very even due to the felting/stickiness of the locks:

It would spin much easier (and make a nicer-feeling yarn) if I combed or carded it first, but then you lose all of the variegation (I've tried it - most of that cop is some of this that I had combed). I guess this stuff will be a bit of an experiment for me.

Here is the tencel blend that I'm spinning on the Polonaise:

It really is that shiny! It's a merino/tencel blend, by Gypsy Girl Creations, color is "Blue Hawaii". Very pretty, Gypsy Girl!

I'm not as successful in preserving the variegation in this fiber - the green is really predominating. But the spinning is more even! I could try 'breaking' the roving at the color changes, but the color runs are a bit short - at least before drafting. Perhaps I'll try that next time I work on it.

Hmm... I just noticed when proof-reading this post that the colorways of these two projects are quite similar - that had completely escaped my notice, probably because the Gypsy is so shiny. I guess I'm in my blue-green phase!


Weaving:
The Bonhop loom I mentioned. I haven't tried this loom out yet, and I think the cardboard-loom project is just the thing to test it:

I'll be looking at the owner's manual tonight. I'm not sure if this would qualify as a rigid heddle loom or not - it doesn't have the usual type of heddle of either sort.


And here's my buddy, keeping a close eye on me in case I sneak out the secret door that he seems to think exists in every room of my parents' home (sigh).

He also has no qualms about making himself feel at home. :-)

That's all for tonight! Though I didn't get the spinning done that I had planned for tonight, I hope to make up for it tomorrow night. And figure out the Bonhop loom. And knit a row or two on the sweater. And....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home