Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, April 20, 2008

This is so cool...

Log cabin pattern on the Flip:


It's hard to see the pattern when looking down on it, so I wasn't sure how it was turning out, but if you look at it from the side:

The pattern really pops (in real life, anyway). I'm using 8/4 carpet warp, with a 12.5 dent heddle.


And that's all I have to report. I've done some spinning, but it's the same old Brown Sheep wool in silvery-gray that I've been spinning for the past hundred years. :-/

I did eye the Bonhop loom a couple of times yesterday, and was going to start planning sampler strips on the Harp, but I was too intrigued with this log cabin pattern. :-) Maybe today....

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Looks fantastic! Isn't the log cabin fun to do?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/21/2008 10:45 AM  

  • It sure is fun - and easy! I'm told there are several variations of log cabin as well, so a log cabin sampler may be in my future. :-)

    By Blogger CL, at 4/21/2008 11:24 AM  

  • I love the look of the log cabin it's on my to do list.

    By Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM, at 4/21/2008 3:09 PM  

  • I'm only sorry I didn't try it sooner! I've always liked the 'wide' woven look, like knitted basketweave, and log cabin is a whole lot easier for me than knitted basketweave (I'd always loose track when knitting). :-)

    By Blogger CL, at 4/22/2008 6:46 AM  

  • Do you like the Flip or the Harp better? I keep recommending the harp due to price and the warping board on the back but I sure do like the Schacht products.

    Which would you recommend?

    By Blogger Beth, at 4/28/2008 11:57 AM  

  • Beth,

    I very much prefer the Harp to the Flip.

    The only reason I put the log cabin warp on the Flip (and use it a bit more than the Harp) is because the Flip is a narrower loom - my Flip is 15", and the Harp is 24" - and I prefer to do smaller projects. Both are equally sturdy, so there is no advantage to either there. I did a comparison in May '07 that has more detail, if you'd like to read it:
    http://loomythoughts.blogspot.com/2007/05/harp-vs-flip-great-debate.html

    I had been considering getting a 16" Kromski Fiddle to replace the Flip, but it has one of the 'features' that I dislike about the Flip - the beam knobs are only on one side. Also, I wish both the Flip and the Harp were shorter depth-wise, but I'll probably have to build my own for that (I may yet do it, but I'd need to find more spare time).

    I'd buy a 16" Harp, but even though the Harps are an excellent value IMO they are too pricey for an extra loom that I really don't 'need' - at least I haven't figured out a way to justify the purchase yet. :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 4/28/2008 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home