Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's been awhile...

And I've been really busy - but sadly, not on the fiber front. We're redoing our living room, and it has taken me all week just to get colored paint on the walls (it looked like it had 'white measles' most of the week, with all the spackling I had to do!). So I have nothing to show you fiber-related, but I am proud of this:

I finally have a halfway-decent crop of blueberries, after trying for about 15 years! These shrubs are supposed to grow to at least 4 feet tall, but they are still only about 2 - 2 1/2 feet tall. But there are more than a handful of blueberries! These are still too tart to pick, but another bush had a very sweet crop. :-)


And, I bought a bicycle. I haven't ridden a really long time, though I pretty much grew up on a bike in my small hometown. I'm hoping to be able to ride with the hound so he can get enough exercise and my back will stop hurting.


So far I've only had a chance to ride it once, because I've been expending all of my energy on the living room project (which is very far from finished sigh), but that one ride told me that:

a) my behind is apparently not as padded as it looks, and I need a softer seat, and
b) if I'm going to ride on the highway (only for about a mile, but it's a very scary mile!) I need a rearview mirror (the hound will not be along on the highway - we'll ride in town), and
c) it really is 'like riding a bicycle' - you don't forget how. Sadly, my balance isn't currently very good though (hence needing the rearview mirror to see behind me on the highway, as I can't safely twist around enough yet).

Luckily I've found a rearview that straps on with velcro, so it's easy to take on and off. Unluckily, I've discovered that not all bike seats are built the same - I'm probably going to have to go to a bike shop to find a comfier seat, or buy a gel-padded cover. I'd rather change the seat to something with some springs in it, but it might not be possible.

I have taken the hound around the yard and on the driveway with it - once with a leash and once with a WalkyDog (I bought it from SitStay via Amazon.com). I think he likes the bike. :-D He did better with the leash, and I'm going to have to adjust a couple of things on the WalkyDog, but those are easy fixes. Depending on how long it takes me to get the bike in the car tomorrow, we may try it at the park - after we've walked. :-) He gets pant-y pretty fast with this (whether excitement or tiredness, I don't know), and it's supposed to be rather warm tomorrow too. Or maybe I'll wait until we get back from the park - that would probably be smarter.

Spin Club is Tuesday night - at least I'll get some spinning in this week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home