Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Another new project...

and I've (finally!) made progress on the first of the next batch of Textures & Patterns samples.

This is the 3/1 lace pattern - it doesn't look all that lacy from my weaving vantage point, but it sure shows in the photo. This makes a really nice pattern, and it's easy too. I've noticed my right-side edges aren't looking very good, possibly because the carpet warp is so different that the wool I was weaving with earlier in the day, so these will be good practice for trying to get them more even.


Here is the new (secret) project:

DH had asked me to make him a red, white, & blue scarf several years ago, and I never got around to it, so here it is. This will be a wool scarf on the cradle loom, as a thank-you to DH for giving me the loom.

Originally this was going to be a striped scarf, but when I started weaving with a fine yarn for weft, it covered the wool surprisingly completely. I wasn't about to re-warp with a denser heddle (I'm using a 6-dent with worsted weight wool), so I decided to go plaid instead. I do like it so far, but it's not what I had planned to do so I'm still a bit disappointed. I'm trying to do it without DH seeing it, and that's been tricky. 'Luckily' I forgot to plug in the crockpot for supper, so he went to town for take-out giving more time to get going on this. I think I'll take it to work and work on it there during breaks. (AFAIK, he never reads my blog unless I ask him to, so I'm safe posting about it!)

I've had other problems with the yarn as well - I went to my
'old' LYS and picked up 3 skeins of Cascade 220 in red, white, and blue - I thought - but couldn't find a wool for weft small enough (never did find a wool small enough). I pulled the blue wool out Friday afternoon, as the rigid heddles had arrived - and it was PURPLE (though if you hold it just so, it does look blue - it changes color as you rotate the skein around). The new local LYS had navy blue Cascade so off I went first thing Saturday morning. The navy blue was way too dark, so I ended up going with a different brand of wool. Then I pulled the white out this morning to wind it into a center-pull ball - and it's not Cascade 220 either. It's Aussie Wool. And it has a LOT of knots in it. :-( Since both warp and weft are worsted, that will make a thicker scarf which wouldn't be a bad thing, but the design of the cradle loom might not allow that much cloth on the cloth beam - I'll guess we'll see!


In knitting news, I did about 4 rows on the wristwarmers. Unfortunately, I still can't really see the pattern developing. Fortunately, my wrist wasn't bothered by doing them all in one night, so I think it's getting better finally - YAY!

That's it for this update - I hope I get more done this week!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • What kind of loom is that in the photo?
    bgcyclist@gmail.com

    By Blogger Cindy, at 12/18/2008 1:27 PM  

  • Hi Cindy!

    Do you mean the plaid project? That is on a Norwegian cradle loom - it's really a tape loom but wide enough for a scarf. It's not optimum for scarf-weaving, but I really like the size. :-)

    The yellow project is on a 15" Schacht Flip.

    By Blogger CL, at 12/21/2008 5:13 PM  

  • I really like the look of that loom! Do you know where your DH got it from?

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 2/08/2009 9:17 AM  

  • Hi Jennifer!

    The cradle loom came from the Vesterheim Museum - I don't know of any other source for them (and I've looked several times). Here is the link to Vesterheim's site:

    http://store.vesterheim.org/

    By Blogger CL, at 2/09/2009 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home