Loomy Thoughts

Monday, December 01, 2008

No progress was made...

On anything:

(The wristwarmer - just barely started into the cabled part and hasn't been knit on for a couple of weeks.)


So I thought I'd distract you with a pretty I picked up in the brand-new LYS in my hometown:
Beautifully-dyed, though unfortunately not cleaned worth a hoot. I've seen the largest pieces of v-m in this 2 oz. of mohair that I've ever seen in a 'prepared' fiber. Perhaps I'll try out my new-ish combs on this. I like the variegation in the locks, but I'm not keen on all of the v-m picking I'll be doing. :-(


I've been distracted by trying to find a yarn I like for the Estonian Lace Shawl (assuming I am capable of actually knitting it!). I'm looking for a fingering weight wool with a bit of a sheen, and not-white - I'm finding it a bit difficult.


I found this in the local Goodwill store:



Brand-new, and only $2! I love these bags for keeping all my stuff together for one project. They are really handy with all of those pockets for my doodads, especially for weaving tools. I also have a small one I use for the Bonhop loom stuff - just perfect for small-loom stuff.


What did I wake up to yesterday morning in my hometown?

The same stuff I woke up to here this morning! Brrrr!!!

I'm going to light up the electric heater and knit a couple of rows on that wristwarmer today! (Maybe I'll even do some weaving!)

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • CL, I have a spinning question for you. I just bought an old spinning wheel, originally purchased in Ireland years ago. It looks like it will do the job, but the legs have never been glued on. They just sit in the sockets. Is this for a reason, do you think? Do all wheels have this, or can I glue them in? It's a pretty cool wheel and I can't wait to take a spinning class! Thanks for any advice.

    By Blogger Trisha, at 12/06/2008 6:47 AM  

  • Hi Tricia!

    Woohoo!! Lucky you! :-D

    Though I'm not an expert by any means, I believe that it is not uncommon for the legs to not be glued - my assembly instructions for the Polonaise didn't have me glue the legs either. I probably wouldn't glue the legs on your new wheel, unless they are wobbly - and even then I'd probably just add slivers of wood (toothpicks) to tighten them up.

    I don't know of a reason, other than you would be able to disassemble it to a smaller package.

    You could try asking the big Spin List on Yahoo - they are way more knowledgeable than I am! :-D

    And while you're waiting for a spinning class, you can get a headstart by practicing treadling at a slow, even pace - it's harder than you think, at first!

    By Blogger CL, at 12/06/2008 6:06 PM  

  • Thanks CL! I love your blog, BTW! Have you done any more with the Textures and Patterns for the RH Loom book? I made a scarf using 5/1 floats (windowpane) and it is gorgeous, IMHO.

    By Blogger Trisha, at 12/07/2008 4:44 AM  

  • Thank you Trisha! I love hearing from readers. :-D

    LOL Embarrassingly, no, I haven't done any more in Textures and Patterns. The loom is warped, and I wound the shuttle today, and that's as far as I've gotten (so far). While DH is in the basement I'm working on a not-turning--out-like-I-wanted secret project. :-/ But that's a blog post in itself! Hopefully I'll get to weaving on the T&P project today though.

    By Blogger CL, at 12/07/2008 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home