Loomy Thoughts

Thursday, July 23, 2009

A short announcement...

I've started a Babe Spinning Wheels YahooGroup, and have put a link in the right side column of the blog. I'm hoping it will eventually be a place to find real-life information about Babe wheels - get advice, talk about what we spin, post photographs, likes and dislikes of particular models.

I realized there could be a need for this when I was looking for 'in the wild' pictures and information regarding the Babe Bulky Delta Production DT Delta Flyer, and then the Bulky Delta NW Flyer Double Treadle Pinkie. I've been wanting to try a delta orifice, and I thought I might want to do some bulky yarn someday. But except for contacting Nels, there wasn't very much out there on the Bulky Production, and NO information on the Bulky Pinkie (and surprising
ly little on the regular Pinkie, for that matter).

So I had my Babe dealer order a Bulky Pinkie for me, and like every other Babe I love it (except for the way the treadles attach, they have a tendency to pop off if you don't have your feet just right). I chose the Pinkie instead of the big Bulky as I'm sure I won't be doing that much bulky, so the Pinkie is a better fit for me.


Though I can't get over that The Hound is bigger than the Pinkie! LOL

click to biggify

It also fits under my desk at work. :-D


It's a fully-functional wheel - I spun my usual probably-light-fingering weight (really ought to check that someday!) and what was likely a close-to-worsted weight with no problem. You should be able to spin laceweight pretty easily on it as well. I had absolutely no trouble with the delta orifice (didn't have to change my spinning style at all), and it also of course fits in the car really well.

Wow - this turned out to be longer than I meant it to be! I hope if you are interested in or have Babes you'll come join the new group! (where there is a more detailed review of the Bulky Pinkie) :-)

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Thank you for your review of the Pinkie. I'm looking at purchasing one and couldn't quite decide what kind of wheel I wanted. I really don't care for the looks of the Pinkie wheel as I much prefer to more "traditional" wooden wheels, but those are really pricey so I've decided that "function" should win over "form" for now. You have pretty well cemented the Pinkie as the most likely candidate for a spinning wheel for me. Thanks again!!

    By Blogger Lacey, at 9/23/2013 10:31 AM  

  • Thank you for your review of the Pinkie. I'm looking at purchasing one and couldn't quite decide what kind of wheel I wanted. I really don't care for the looks of the Pinkie wheel as I much prefer to more "traditional" wooden wheels, but those are really pricey so I've decided that "function" should win over "form" for now. You have pretty well cemented the Pinkie as the most likely candidate for a spinning wheel for me. Thanks again!!

    By Blogger Lacey, at 9/23/2013 10:32 AM  

  • I'm glad I was able to help! :-) I don't spin on mine often because I have it at my Mom's house (and I have a few ::cough:: other wheels), but it sure is a handy wheel. :-)

    By Blogger CL, at 10/09/2013 9:05 AM  

  • Thanks very much for the review. I have been seriously looking at the Babe wheels in general, the Pinkie in particular, and was wondering if the Delta flyer would be suitable, since I also mostly do light weight singles and ply them, but would also like to have the option of doing some bulkier and core-spun yarns.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/28/2015 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home