Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Still spinnin' away...

I've really been into spinning lately. Maybe next weekend I'll get back to weaving. :-)

Here is a picture of the Bulky Pinkie with the spindle attachment installed:

Nice-to-spin Coopworth:
Though the setup worked pretty well, I didn't like having the spindle that low so I've put it back on the Pedal Pusher. Here's a better picture of it on the PP (sorry it's a bit out-of-focus again):


I put the delta flyer back on the Pinkie and started spinning this Romney batt:
Since the batt is in layers, I thought I'd try rolling them up and trying to draft like rolags, but it didn't work well at all. I'm probably going to have to strip it instead. This batt is very harsh-feeling, and there seems to be quite a few nepps in it. :-( I'm going to do a 4-ply with it and count it as practice, unless it ends up a lot better finished than it is now.


I also finished the black super-sooooft alpaca on the Spindolyn, and started the gray to ply with it - YUCK.
The gray is 'hairy'! Though the hairs aren't stiff, there are a LOT of them and they stick out all over the spun yarn, and not in a good way. I'm hating spinning it. Not sure what I'll end up doing with it, but thankfully there is not much there so I don't feel too bad about giving it to the birds next spring (unless I think of something else to do with it).

I sat down at the Polonaise to spend an half-hour spinning on her - I was going to rotate amongst all the wheels today - and the next thing I knew "The Mummy Returns" was over and 2 hours had gone by!
I was really hoping to get to the Pedal Pusher too - I really need the spindle practice. But... we just discovered DH's computer has been infected by a trojan/virus so I'm helping him with that (always always ALWAYS update your anti-virus program daily; and check that your firewall is running and run at least two trojan/virus checkers every so often - weekly is usually good enough).


The big news is - I bought my first fleece!!



It's Navajo-churro lamb. If how much I was able to get done yesterday just picking out locks (it's hard to see the locks in a lot of it), shaking out the v-m, putting them in netting to soak (no soap) is any indication, it's going to take me YEARS to get it ready to spin - if I'm only spinning from the locks (current plan). Luckily I was smart enough to split the fleece with a friend, so I don't have to do it all. But it does remind me why I buy my spinning fiber mostly-ready-to-spin. This will be a good learning experience, but not something I will do very often.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home