Loomy Thoughts

Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's a spindle weekend!

DH and I finally had the time and the interest at the same time for him to show me how to use the lathe. :-)  The first result is a Russian spindle:


I couldn't believe how looong it took (partially because we were using some crappy hard red oak we had laying around, and partially because the turning tools need sharpening - a *lot*, and partially because it was my first project), but I'm pleased with the result.  I made it a bit too smooth so roughed it up a tiny bit before I put some Danish oil on it.

Then today I turned the shaft for a spindle lap bowl.  Since DH wasn't home to show me how to do a small bowl, I improvised. :-)
Since I used hot glue the glass bowl should come off pretty easily when I want it to so I can replace it with a wooden bowl.  I think this turned out ok too, and didn't take nearly as long!

And then I made a jewel-ly spindle, to please my inner magpie. :-D

Oh and this came in the mail yesterday - TOO COOL!!!!
And it spins great!  I've not had good luck with top-whorls before, but I'm glad I took the chance on this one.  It came from here.  She's also doing some ST-themed spin-alongs. :-)

Tour de Fleece is coming up and everyone's talking about it. :-)  I'm having trouble deciding what to do this year, though one of my goals will definitely be to spin on the great wheel for 15 minutes each day.  Right now I'm thinking of finishing all of my spinning UFOs (if that's even possible :-/), or maybe something to do with spindles (or finish my spindle UFOs - that might not even be possible in the time allotted :-/).  What are you doing for TdF this year?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home