Loomy Thoughts

Friday, January 26, 2007

Waffle-weaving (warning - lots of pictures!)

A commenter asked how I learned to use a waffle-weave loom - the rug tying frame. I went to eBay and bought a small waffle-weave frame that had instructions with it since I couldn't find any info on the 'net. I believe these frames are the basis for the plastic Love & Money looms that you can (usually) buy at WalMart and such places; I used to have a set of hexagonal L&M looms, and if I remember correctly, they used the same tying procedure.

I promised to write up some instructions, so here goes. Keep in mind this is my first project. :-)


First, you need a frame. I have a Sears "Hearthside Adjustable Rug Fr
ame", that uses a shuttle (which of course was missing from mine; I'm using an upholstery needle):

and the eBay purchase - a Bucilla "Adjustable Waffle-Weave Frame" that uses a needle. The B
ucilla is about placemat size - most of the patterns in the booklet are for placemats.

Both are adjustable - you can see the short pegged bar on the rug frame, and there are two different spots you can attach that for smaller rugs; and the Bucilla has extra holes in each bar for changing the size, like so:

You need thread or yarn, depending on the size of your f
rame. The Bucilla booklet calls for crochet cotton (by article numbers, so I don't know for sure what size); I'm using a bulky cotton on the Hearthside. For clarity's sake, I'm using a piece of worsted weight yarn on the Hearthside.
Now you need to wind your thread/yarn onto the frame. Tie a single t
hread in a corner notch (or on a corner peg), and wind up-and-down. Then wind side-to-side, so you have a cross-hatch. One layer (or ply, as Bucilla calls it) is done. Repeat this for however thick you want your item, then tie off the thread.
Now cut a piece of thread twice the length of what you want. You're going to double this yarn, with the cut ends going through the eye of your needle or being wound first on your shuttle.

I work right to left and top to bottom, so go to the upper right-most crossing of your winding. Insert your needle in the lower-left space, and bring it to the front in the upper-right space, catching the loop and pulling it snug.
Then, put the needle through the upper-left hole, then to the front in the lower right, catching the loop on the way back out, pulling it snug again.

Your first tie!

Go to the next intersection to the left, and repeat the process - in at the lower-left...


out at the upper right picking up the loop.


In at the upper-left, and out at the lower right catching the loop:


Two ties!


Continue across. If you're using a small frame, when you get to the corner you can just turn the frame and keep tying (not an option on the Hearthside). You can probably use one length of thread for the entire project on the small frame. On the rug frame, however, I cut lengths to do one row at a time (it is 4 FEET wide!).

After you've finished tying all the intersections, you can cut the threads that are wound around the teeth to get the project off the frame; or you should be able to just pop it off the frame if you want to leave loops instead of cut fringe.

In the Bucilla booklet, there are instructions for "Diagonal Weaving". This is done on a already-tied project, and involves going from knot to knot diagonally, catching the thread in the knots as you go. It looks like it is more decorative than anything else.

If you don't understand something, just ask!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • Not at all what I had expected! Thanks so much for the explanation and photos. I can't wait to try it after work tonight (I have the same frame with no instructions and no needle).

    You made my month! Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2007 7:04 AM  

  • I'm glad I could help! I was pretty surprised myself when I got those instructions, but it made the drawing in the ad in the Sears catalog for my rug frame make sense. Now if I could only figure out how you make chenille rugs on the frame...

    By Blogger CL, at 1/29/2007 2:58 PM  

  • I saw an example of a shag or "chenille" rug on this type of frame at the Glore Phychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, MO. It's been a couple years since I saw this on display in their basement area. I believe the frame is warped the same way you show, but instead of (or in addition to) tying, you knot onto the crossed threads latch hook style with a short pieces of rag. I remember it was a very dense rug, still unfinished on the frame..and I had one of those "Ah-hah!" moments. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm loosing MY mind and can't remember exactly how it was done.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2008 2:07 PM  

  • Interesting, Anon! The ad in the Sears catalog for this frame says you can make chenille rugs on it, but I had no clue as to how they were done.

    If you use rag strips both as 'warp' and 'tying weft', it probably would be pretty dense. If I ever find the roll of fabric I bought for crocheting a rug, I'll do a test (I think it's way past time to clean out the craft room again!).

    If you ever remember the details, I'd really appreciate if you let me know! :-D

    Thanks!

    By Blogger CL, at 12/16/2008 6:52 AM  

  • Thank you so much. I saw this in a magazine years ago and didn't remember what it was called. I have been looking for it for years. Thanks again ever so much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/04/2009 9:43 PM  

  • I'm very glad it was helpful to you! :-D

    By Blogger CL, at 1/05/2009 7:01 AM  

  • Great! You helped me figure out what came out of grandma's trunk - a 17" Bucilla is more than fireplace fodder.

    Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/11/2010 8:39 PM  

  • You're quite welcome! Glad it helped! :-)

    By Blogger CL, at 5/12/2010 12:17 PM  

  • I have had one of these for well over a decade...no stand, though.... and thought I'd researched EVERYTHING about it..... and now, although it is warped with rags that I'll have to twine and finish... I'm DELIGHTED to know what it REALLY is! Thank you.... I need to put your blog into my pinterest storage... this will be summer work outside between gardening tasks... I can't thank you enough!

    By Anonymous Barb oaketreee@hotmail.com, at 12/30/2017 9:15 AM  

  • You're welcome, Barb! I'm glad it was helpful to you, and I'm sorry it took me so long to see your comment!

    By Blogger CL, at 3/15/2018 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home