Loomy Thoughts

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wednesday...

and the weather is so nice here I wish I had taken the day off. The new computer came a day early (Monday), so I'm still in the process of setting it up - wow did I have a lot of software on the old one! - but last night I was distracted by the spinning wheel. :-D I've done about half of the alpaca now, so pretty soon I'm going to have to figure out how to ply as my singles aren't sturdy enough to hold up on their own.

Besides spinning alpaca, I've been thinking more about the new smaller loom. I keep going back and forth between the Schacht Flip and the Kromski Harp. It would be nice to get a Flip since I already have a Harp, but the Harp has advantages and I'm starting to lean towards another Kromski. Number one - the less-expensive Ashford rigid heddles will fit the Harps, per The Woolery (the Ashford heddle might require a slight trimming on the edge, but otherwise will fit). There are more 'sizes' available in Ashford heddles as well, such as a 5-dent that I would like to have. Number two - I really like my 24" Harp. :-) Number three - the Schacht costs more (and the heddles cost more too) and so far I haven't found it availabe with free shipping, unlike the Harp (adding more expense).

Then again - I like that the Flip has a different design. I've heard it is sturdier, but for a 15" loom I'm not sure how important that really is. Sigh - I guess I need to flip a coin (ha!)! I could look at it as a service to my blog readers to get a different brand of RH so I could properly compare them... :-D

And maybe I could 'make' an Ashford heddle fit a Flip....

Update: I just found free shipping for the Flip at Paradise Fibers. I haven't figured out how you order the particular heddle size you want yet, but I'll be spending some time poking around their site. :-D

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home